Quantcast

Career Change: Dealership Specific Auto Mechanics

.:_bustit_:.

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
Hey,

This is a question for mechanics about what it's like to work for a dealership?

I got out of the Navy a couple of years ago to pursue the medical field. After two years of schooling(general education crap) and finding out that nursing, x-ray tech, cath lab, etc training programs have looooong waiting lists I'm starting to consider other avenues. Today, after cleaning up a jobsite(construction laborer jobs blow btw) for the family bizz I met with a GM certified instructor who runs the GM ASEP and BSEP program at a local community college. I love working on things, ever since I could remember I've been working on my bikes, moto bikes, my auto's, my computer's, etc etc... Anyhow, I'm really considering on becoming a GM certified mechanic and then specializing. The interview went good, he wants me to accept one of the openings at the school and for the next two years I'd be learning and working hands on. I'd be going to school for 8 weeks, then training under a certified technician at a dealership for 8 weeks, then back to school for 8 weeks, etc... rotates every 8 weeks. I'd also be able to work during the training portion as I've already completed my gen ed's and while the other students do there's I can get more work experience. On top of this great curriculum, they will pay me for every hour I work to learn!!!

So anyways, I just wanted to get some real life opinions about what you think about your job, your future, the industry, average salaries, growth, passion for the work, everyday stress, and so on.

I'd prefer that people who work in the industry only reply to keep this thread healthy with good information.

Anyway, not sure how many people are auto mechanics in a dealership, but if you are, I'd love to hear from yah.

Thanks,
.:_Bustit_:.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There are a couple GM techs on gm-trucks.com that might be able to help you. Post your question in the Ask a GM Tech forum and maybe the 2500/3500HD forum too. Don't expect an immediate response but there are several techs on that forum that have been in the biz for a while.

.:_bustit_:.

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
dan-o said:
There are a couple GM techs on gm-trucks.com that might be able to help you. Post your question in the Ask a GM Tech forum and maybe the 2500/3500HD forum too. Don't expect an immediate response but there are several techs on that forum that have been in the biz for a while.
thanks for the tip!

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
i work in a dealership and make a pretty good living at it. You will always have things in every job that you don't like, but for the most part it's pretty good. Sometimes it can be stressful if you're struggling on a car and the service writer is breathing down your neck to get it done because the customer is bitching at them. But usually things are smooth. If you are flat rate, you kind of write your own paychecks. The harder and faster you work the more you get paid. And the harder and faster you work the quicker the day goes by. Which is nice, because that means you can get on your bike sooner! As far as growth in the industry goes, i don't think it will ever slow down. There are so many new things on cars every year you don't ever want to stop learning or you will fall so far behind. On the negative side though, somedays you can loose your ass and not make any money. Most flat rate shops have "favorite" tech's that get the gravy work and a lot of other people get screwed. But if you like working on cars and messing around with new things, it's a pretty fun job.