Quantcast

Career in the bike industry

joe99

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Hi, I’m an industrial design graduate and have just finished a placement at Nicolai where I was developing frames, the GCON standard and G-boxx’s. My ambition is to be designer within the bike world; does anyone have any advice how to best go about doing this please? I intend to mail my portfolio to companies and keep my eyes open for vacancies.

Cheers - Joe

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
keep in mind the Old bicycle store joke...

"How do you make a million dollars on the bike industry.... ??

you start with Two million"

as a Industrial my self I can tell you that is far better fields in the design world to make a career but I also understand your atraction to bicycles since they are so simple at first glance but so complex and fasinating if you really look at them in deep...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
w00dy said:
You might want to leave that nicolai thing out of your portfolio, though.
what are you taking about...??

for sure Nicolai design does not have much Bling, but at the same time is one of the few bike design companies that really push the boundries of the performance possibilities (i do accept linkages are some how anticuated) any good designer or engenier will be proud to work at..

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bluebug32 said:
Don't give up on your dream. I'm a hopelessly underpaid starving artist. You'll get used to the taste of canned food and cereal...it just takes time.
Well said. Sometimes what you do is far more important than what you make. Heck, I just gave up a nice cushy job to follow my crafts and my art. (Thank God the wife has a decent job!) I am broke but I am sooooo much happier.

:thumb:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bluebug32 again.
I would so approve if I could!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I second the Bicycle Retailer, which you should subscribe too. You can also cruise the job posting pages of the major bike companies. I know Bianchi might be looking for someone...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
patineto said:
As a Industrial my self I can tell you that is far better fields in the design world to make a career but I also understand your atraction to bicycles since they are so simple at first glance but so complex and fasinating if you really look at them in deep...
Hey patineto, are you going to get back to us about the sale? I'm in Berkeley... can I swing by for a look?

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2197474#post2197474

thanks.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
dump said:
Hey patineto, are you going to get back to us about the sale? I'm in Berkeley... can I swing by for a look?

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2197474#post2197474

thanks.
sorry about that, I being talking to a friend that wants to buy ALL my things for a pretty decent price...

and to tell you the truth it get really, old really fast when a component retail for a $100 dollars and the guys here offer you $10 for it, with the old "Help a brother out" argument, now i'm starting to understand why everybody preffer E-bay since is a lot less trouble and deception not to mension you get more money at the end...

some of my parts are here at my house in berkeley but ost of them at my workshop in castro valley, plus my camara is broken and I'm waiting to borrow one to take proper pictures, (for example I have about 45 stems after 20 years of collecting them)...

me bad...

now back to regular programing...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
gotcha... guys here can be pretty lame (in my experience) ...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
Hey now, we had a good trade!
not you?!?! :mumble:

it's kiddies asking if I can ship stuff to then before I see any money... becuase, you know, they're getting paid next week...

joe99

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Why aren't you going back to Nicolai?
They don't need anyone at the moment, I wish I could go back as I loved the work and the people.

do you want to be poor?
No but I want to do something I enjoy.

Look for openings on bicycleretailer.com. You might want to leave that nicolai thing out of your portfolio, though.
Really good site, I'll keep checking thanks. I was proud to have Nicolai in my portfolio.

Don't give up on your dream
I'll try

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Hang in there. I worked in the industry from '85 to'97 -all the way from shop wrench and learning to braze frames to working in R&D at Onza to being a partner in my own component manufacturing company Real Design. I can honestly say if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. The money wasn't uber-fantastic but it wasn't that bad either and the experience, knowledge and friendship I gained more than made up for it. Money is nice but it isn't everything. I sure as hell don't want to go to a job every day that I thought sucked just because it payed a little better.

My advice is to start cold calling. Make a list of every bike company you'd want to work for and pick up the phone and start working it. If it's your dream then go for it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Honus said:
Hang in there. I worked in the industry from '85 to'97 -all the way from shop wrench and learning to braze frames to working in R&D at Onza to being a partner in my own component manufacturing company Real Design. I can honestly say if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. The money wasn't uber-fantastic but it wasn't that bad either and the experience, knowledge and friendship I gained more than made up for it. Money is nice but it isn't everything. I sure as hell don't want to go to a job every day that I thought sucked just because it payed a little better.

My advice is to start cold calling. Make a list of every bike company you'd want to work for and pick up the phone and start working it. If it's your dream then go for it.
:stupid:

It is possible to find a good job in the industry if you have real skills and ambition. I've been in it for 17 years (recently left to start my own biz) and have always had interesting jobs, travelled the world (including living in EU), and had a generally amazing experience/lifestyle while making decent money.

IMO, the key is not accepting a crappy job just to get your foot in the door, the bike industry isn't THAT cool.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I'm surprised that there are this many designers on this forum. I sent a pm to joe but I will ask here as well. I am in school for ID and starting next summer I am required to get a paid co-op as a designer. Anyone know of any companies that would hire for a 3 month co-op period?

Also it would be really cool if any designers currently or formerly in the industry would pm me and let me know what its like. I dont have my heart set on working on bikes but I love bikes and if I could think about bikes all day that would be a pretty good deal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
erastusboy said:
I'm surprised that there are this many designers on this forum. I sent a pm to joe but I will ask here as well. I am in school for ID and starting next summer I am required to get a paid co-op as a designer. Anyone know of any companies that would hire for a 3 month co-op period?

Also it would be really cool if any designers currently or formerly in the industry would pm me and let me know what its like. I dont have my heart set on working on bikes but I love bikes and if I could think about bikes all day that would be a pretty good deal.
what school are you at? mine does that too.

But yes, I find it much more important to do something you love than something to make a lot of money. I am currently doing a co-op and making good money, but I hate the job, a lot of my co-workers, and in the inflexibility of it. My only real motivation is not to get fired so I can finish the co-op (I need it to get my diploma). I'd rather be broke and happy than well off and having to throw up every morning before work because I hate it so much (yes this was happening to me for a few weeks).

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Im at University of Cincinnati

What about you?

What about everyone maybe there should be a designer/wanna be designer thread.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Ken at Rennen is someone you might want to talk to. Went to school for Engineering. Designed tires at Maxxis and then did the Rennen chain tensioner gig. He's here on RM. you might want to drop him a PM.

joe99

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Hi Honus, thanks for the advice on the calling. I've started it. fluff, I would love to but I dont know anyone with the skills but I could try and find someone. I replied to your PM erastusboy, depending on how far you want to travel I know it is possible to work at Nicolai as I did recently.

joe99

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Also what sort of thing do you think should be included in my portfolio? Lots of bike design or just some, mixed with general design and experience. Thanks