Careful what you wish for...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Remember this?

Out of house and hope? Man wins Tyler mansion, tax bills that go along with it
Dallas Morning News ^ | June 23, 2005 | JESSICA LEEDER

TYLER – Don Cruz moved to East Texas thinking he'd be living in a dream – a $1.5 million lakefront sanctuary he won in a Home and Garden Television "Dream Home" sweepstakes.

But the massive tax bill delivered with his winnings has blemished his utopia.

Mr. Cruz, 40, moved his family into the 5,000-square-foot Lake Tyler residence last month with the hope that he could raise the money by renting out parts of the property, opening a bed and breakfast, and charging for public tours.

But a city ordinance prohibiting commercial use of the land – and the Tyler City Council's unanimous decision Wednesday not to change that ordinance – have foiled his plans.

Now Mr. Cruz and his wife, Shelly, face a quandary: Come up with the $631,000 they owe in federal taxes by April, plus an estimated $32,300 in property taxes owed to Smith County and the Arp Independent School District, or sell the house.

....But the bills that accompany such windfalls often catch winners by surprise and catapult them into a tax nightmare.

"We're going to try everything we can to stay," Mr. Cruz said. "God gave us this house. It's not for sale."

Mr. Cruz appeared before the council looking nervous and wearing the only suit he owns.

(Excerpt) Read more at dallasnews.com ...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Existing Home Sales 2nd Highest in History
AP | Jun 23 | MARTIN CRUTSINGER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sales of existing homes slowed slightly in May but still came in at the second-highest level on record with home prices hitting an all-time high.

Sales of previously owned homes and condominiums edged down 0.7 percent last month, the National Association of Realtors reported Thursday. The small decline left sales at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 7.13 million units, down only slightly from the 7.18 million sales pace in April, which had been an all time high.

Even with the small drop in sales, home prices moved higher, to an all-time record of $207,000 for the median price, the point where half the homes sold for more and half for less.

The new report was likely to do little to lessen concerns that the housing market in some parts of the country is caught in the grip of a speculative fever similar to the bubble that was created in the stock market in the late 1990s before prices came crashing back to earth.

(More...)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
Tx has no personal income tax... so you can imagine what the property taxes are like.

:dead:

Neither does FL. Thankfully I bought my house prior to the exploding housing market. We also have "Homestead" exemptions that caps the Tax increase at at 2.5% increase p/year. (dispite my home increasing almost 100% in 4)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Neither does FL. Thankfully I bought my house prior to the exploding housing market. We also have "Homestead" exemptions that caps the Tax increase at at 2.5% increase p/year. (dispite my home increasing almost 100% in 4)
Sounds like it's time to sell and move someplace decent. :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Working hard for my dreams doesn't seem so bad now (reminds to check my lottery numbers, though).