Quantcast

Carfax

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I found carfax totally worthless. I purchased it hoping to find out the my trucks service history and it came up with nothing. Then I put in the vin for my old Durango and that showed nothing. That thing was in the shop almost monthly and I knew the history of it, so carfax ='s worthless.

Carfax will only tell you title history of a car, including title changes due to flood damage or a total. Example, if the insurance comapny determined the car is 'totalled' from a wreck, or flood damage, the title is changed to a salvage title. You must have the car repaired and pass inspection in order to get a street legal title again. It does not track the repair history of a car.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
PsychO!1 said:
Carfax will only tell you title history of a car, including title changes due to flood damage or a total. Example, if the insurance comapny determined the car is 'totalled' from a wreck, or flood damage, the title is changed to a salvage title. You must have the car repaired and pass inspection in order to get a street legal title again. It does not track the repair history of a car.
any insurance reported inspection i.e. fender bender, fire, broken windshield, if it goes through your car insurance, it should show on carfax, of course, my last car was rolled on it's side and repaired yet it didn't show up on carfax.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
PsychO!1 said:
That's stupid. Wouldn't you want to know the cars service history before you bought it? I do.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's stupid. Wouldn't you want to know the cars service history before you bought it? I do.
It is almost impossible for a third party service to track a vehicles service history. Unless the driver kept all reciepts, you would have no way of compiling that kind of data.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Buying a used car is always gonna be a risk, at least this a way you rule out some major stuff....like odometer roll back and a total that has been rebuilt.

When i used carfax a few years back, it gave me more history on the car than any salesperson could (or would). I found out where it was originally purchased, how many times it was sold, mileage, date, and location of each sale. I found out the truck i was looking at was a leased vehicle and traded in after 3 years.