Quantcast

Caring for your bike.

ACF

Chimp
Jul 12, 2002
I'm going on my first real 'ride' tomorrow. Nothing fancy, a little dirt, a little pavement, etc. Is there a certain cleaning ritual I should go through after each trek? :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wipe of the dirt, rebuild your hubs, clean and lube your chain. Pick two. :D

Rapture

Chimp
Jun 18, 2002
Vancouver
Typically, most (including myself and perhaps over a million other bikers :) ) don't need to worry about maintenance after a single ride, especially if your planning just to take it on a easy goin dirt and urban ride. Downhill riders have a whole nother' thing to worry about.

Cleaning the bike is not too important, nonetheless shouldnt be ignored. There's a difference between cleaning and maintenence. If your new, don't try too much to do any tuneup maintenence, just bring it to the shop every couple months or so, ask what they do, perhaps watch, and you can learn a few things.

Just worry about slapping some chain oil on, pulling out the twigs from your spokes :p and riding long and hard. Once you start hucking 10ft, we'll start talking about doing other stuff ;) - maybe pulling the spokes outta your tires..
:D

Cheers

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Rapture

Once you start hucking 10ft, we'll start talking about doing other stuff ;) - maybe pulling the spokes outta your tires..
:D
If that's the criteria for performing bike maintenance, I'm never EVER going to work on my bike.

XC pussies (me) can wrench too. It's a free world:)