Quantcast

Carlos Mencia

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Yup. I don't like him. Actually, I don't like his show. He was a funny stand up character, but the show has gotten to be pretty lame.

Seriously. He isn't special because he's "politically incorrect". There are plenty of comics who throw out similar meterial Why does he have to shove it in our face? He practically brags about how politically correct he is.

"I MAKE FUN OF EVERYBODY!" Yeah, but you use the same stupid stereotypes over and over again. You don't approach the subject with tact. Dave Chappell does an awesome job, but you don't. Stop it. You might as well copy Larry The Cable Guy's gig and make lots of fart jokes.

Dee dee dee? Yeah, it was funny the first time. Hahaha. I got it. Second time I saw the bit, I sorta' chuckled. He's come out with a song now? Stop it! You found something that works for you -- okay -- just stop putting out the same thing over and over again. It was funny once, but it's been turned into an annoying cliche.

Really. Why can't comedy central start canceling the crappy shows and stop getting rid of the good ones?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
They did kill Strangers with Candy. Other than that they havn't killed off any other good show that I can think of. Carlos Mencia, and Dave Chappelle have gotten pretty worn out, luckily the Chappelle died and we don't have it clogging up the airways anymore.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I have never heard of a single person liking him. He's not funny at all, he's a fake, and his show should be cancelled.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
He sucks balls. Some friends and I were talking about this just last night. He has no delivery and no real schtick. I have no idea how he got a show.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mencia might be the blunt knife, but I don't see anyone else attacking the stereotypes like he is.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
WTF? Have you never seen Chapelle?
1. Chapelle no longer exists.
2. Chapelle focused on mostly black/white issues (although, if no one noticed, Chapelle has an Asian-American wife, and did some of the funny but cool Asians bits, like Wu-Tang joining the Asians). Mencia does Arab, Indian, and, of course Latino.

I was kinda doubting Mencia when I first saw him. There is definitely a Cali vibe, since my friends make many of the same jokes like about Beaners, etc.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I was kinda doubting Mencia when I first saw him. There is definitely a Cali vibe, since my friends make many of the same jokes like about Beaners, etc.
Yup. And it gets very old. He's one of those mexicans who are removed from their ethnicity just enough to turn around and make fun of it. Rather than "attacking" or "taking on" stereotypes all he is really doing is perpetuating them. Sadly he's no less of a "wetback" then the people he makes fun of, and gives the rest of us mexicans a bad name. (Though I can hardly be called a mexican. I don't speak spanish, have very little knowledge of the mexican/hispanic culture other than my grandmas cooking. Real Mexicans mock me.) We see alot of that in So Cal. There are many people who are of Mexican decent who try to distance themselves from it, lest they be thought of as a wetback. My sister is one of those. Makes fun of mexicans, rarely cooks mexican foods (No tacos!?!?! For shame!), does not want her kids to speak spanish. She's weird, though.

I knew an aspiring comedian once, he worked for the same company for a while. I asked him about how hard it is to break into comedy and such. He was saying that the comedy world is VERY cliquish. Apparently many of these not so funny comedians are on the air and getting work because of people they know in the business. (I know, many things are this way)Friends help friends and all that. Perhaps Mencia just knew the right people. Because he sure isn't funny.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Carlos Mencia isn't funny. At all.

Now Stephen Colbert, on the other hand....

I think Jon Stewart's getting a bit old.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Carlos Mencia isn't funny. At all.

Now Stephen Colbert, on the other hand....

I think Jon Stewart's getting a bit old.

i really enjoyed colbert on the daily show, bu think his own show is a little much... it definatley has its moments though.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Doesn't matter said:
an Asian-American wife
Someone explain something to me. Why when we fill out surveys are there spots for Asian-American and African-American, but we lump Hispanic into one, as well as Caucasian. This seems inaccurate. What if you're African, but not American? I don't see "black" on any surveys. Or brown, whatever, but it "African-American" seems too specific. White people don't get to specify more details. Neither do Hispanics. And what if you're African, but have been living in Ecuador for 20 years? What then? Are you going to put down African American? Or Hispanic? If we're concerned with ethnicity (which I'm not so sure we should be), why can't we just have a "color of your skin" question? Why do we bring nationality/descent into it for some people, and not for others? My buddy who's fully Egyptian and emigrated here has to put Caucasian on his surveys. Weird.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yup. And it gets very old. He's one of those mexicans who are removed from their ethnicity just enough to turn around and make fun of it. Rather than "attacking" or "taking on" stereotypes all he is really doing is perpetuating them. Sadly he's no less of a "wetback" then the people he makes fun of, and gives the rest of us mexicans a bad name. (Though I can hardly be called a mexican. I don't speak spanish, have very little knowledge of the mexican/hispanic culture other than my grandmas cooking. Real Mexicans mock me.) We see alot of that in So Cal. There are many people who are of Mexican decent who try to distance themselves from it, lest they be thought of as a wetback. My sister is one of those. Makes fun of mexicans, rarely cooks mexican foods (No tacos!?!?! For shame!), does not want her kids to speak spanish. She's weird, though.

I knew an aspiring comedian once, he worked for the same company for a while. I asked him about how hard it is to break into comedy and such. He was saying that the comedy world is VERY cliquish. Apparently many of these not so funny comedians are on the air and getting work because of people they know in the business. (I know, many things are this way)Friends help friends and all that. Perhaps Mencia just knew the right people. Because he sure isn't funny.
I feel like I am losing the battle. I suppose he is not as funny as Chappelle, who I love. But I enjoy Mencia, and like I said, maybe it is a Cali thing...

I don't know about the perpetuating the stereotype though. What about Tyrone the crackhead?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think some of the stuff he does is funny. I have thought his stand-up bits were funny as hell. Same goes for Dave Chappell, I have enjoyed his stand-up long before he had a show.

Neither are my favorites because both use writers for some of it. Now Jeff Ross is damn funny and he comes up with more improv stuff than anyone.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
mencia annoys me...he seems to repeat himself at times. Dave Chappelle is good though. And regardless of whether he had writers doin some of his stuff, it was damn good while it lasted.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
My buddy who's fully Egyptian and emigrated here has to put Caucasian on his surveys. Weird.
I knew a guy who was from Egypt and put "african american" on his college applications. (which would be correct) He ended up on the "black floor" in the dorms, and was up for a couple of "african-american" scholarships, but never made it past the interviews...

... and Mencia's show started fairly strong, but has been on a constant downward trajectory. Best viewed on Tivo now so you can fast forward through the lame stuff.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
They group people by race at your college? Weird. Isn't that totally non-PC, which for a Univ., I would be surprised. My Univ. was collectively more PC than most people I've met.
Funny how though he is technically correct in putting African-American, it is not good enough for people who want to admit or give scholarships to black people. Why don't they just say black? Or brown? It appears that they don't care if you're from Africa or not. I mean, look at South Africa! Arghh. We need a large dose of brash simplicity here.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I feel like I am losing the battle. I suppose he is not as funny as Chappelle, who I love. But I enjoy Mencia, and like I said, maybe it is a Cali thing...

I don't know about the perpetuating the stereotype though. What about Tyrone the crackhead?
i am with you. i like him but he is not as good as chappel. i really liked the dee dee dee song though. some things are more funny than others.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I knew a guy who was from Egypt and put "african american" on his college applications. (which would be correct) He ended up on the "black floor" in the dorms, and was up for a couple of "african-american" scholarships, but never made it past the interviews...

... and Mencia's show started fairly strong, but has been on a constant downward trajectory. Best viewed on Tivo now so you can fast forward through the lame stuff.
I work with an Indian (South Asian), who has a Latino last name (obviously, the Spanish made a visit to India). I told him to put down Latino on school applications, and I am sure they will receive more favorable advantages than other Indians...