Quantcast

Carmel Mtn Mesa/Del Mar Mesa "trails plan" issues

RE: Carmel Mtn. Mesa, San Diego, Calif.

At last night's Los Pen CAC, we received notice that the Rangers and City Staff intend to present a Trails Plan for the Carmel Mtn. Mesa at the May 19th CAC meeting, for approval by the CAC.

It is the intention of the CMM/DMM Management Plan authors to incorporate whatever the CAC adopts into the Management Plan. Half of this is good: one aspect of the Public Comment we submitted on behalf of the MTC was the demand that the Management Plan use the Trails Committee rather than "make stuff up". But, half of this is bad: we need to "speak now or forever hold our piece".

We don't have the draft Trails Plan yet, but it is apparently based on the discussions held by the LPCP Trails Committee last year (the one meeting I missed). It was apparent last night that some significant disagreement exists over what the Trails Committee "agreed" to, or didn't. The draft maps I've seen from the Rangers show only what appear to be fire roads (all as multiuse), some singletrack marked as "pedestrian only" and some "equestrian only (no peds, either)" singletrack leading to the pending location for the Clews Horse Ranch. Other than this, we're in a vacuum for substance.

We, the multiuse community, still desperately need a GPS survey of the trails up there, with color coding or otherwise for width (road/double/single) and notations for "importance", etc... Sometime prior to May, the Los Pen Trails Committee will be called to revisit the CMM and discuss finalizing what they came up with last year. This, and the May CAC meeting, will be our ONLY chance to affect the trails plan. If we don't have trails info, and the ability to mobilize the community to communicate concerns, we risk missing out.

Three MTC members are on the Trails Committee, and we will relay information to and from the Rangers. However, I do not have the time to GPS all the mesa trails and to create a good "TOPO" or "aerial photo map". If you ride or hike up there and care enough about the access issues to help out, we will run with it. But, if we cannot present a compelling argument for the preservation of particular trails, I am certain the strong preference of a few will result in an area with very little singletrack access.

The "CMM" region we're dealing with includes Eucalyptus, that stepped hikeabike trail just to the west of Euc, and the entire top of the remaining mesa over to the current Clews Horse Ranch and the apartments.

--Please feel free to post or forward this message to other mailing lists.--

See you on the trails,

Erik Basil
Multiuse Trails Coalition

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
sounds like some serious stuff. Not exactly sure what I can do to help (I don't have a gps thingy), but Im willing to help.

Ebasil how do I get a job like yours? I love trail building and politics. It sounds like you deal with that plus some, eh. Any openings :)

ncrider said:
Ebasil how do I get a job like yours? I love trail building and politics. It sounds like you deal with that plus some, eh. Any openings :)
Yeah, real fockin funny, bud. Shoot me now. :mumble:

If I don't lose my job, wind up hocking all my wife's bikes for food (hey, mine are dirty or something) and wind up living out of a tent with my singlespeed and Bob trailer, it will be a miracle. I've already lost my sense of humor, most of my hair and a titanium CoolTool. Well, I guess that wouldn't be SO bad, if their were open trails and such... :D

If you love trailbuilding and politics, you're #1 in my book. Interested in Daley, Hodges, Black Mountain, PQ or Mission Trails? Between SDMBA and those bombthrowers at the MTC, we can let you have some fun.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I'm not usually one to propose dragging things out, but it seems there is a significant lack of public info on this issue. You write:

We don't have the draft Trails Plan yet, but it is apparently based on the discussions held by the LPCP Trails Committee last year (the one meeting I missed). It was apparent last night that some significant disagreement exists over what the Trails Committee "agreed" to, or didn't. The draft maps I've seen from the Rangers show only what appear to be fire roads (all as multiuse), some singletrack marked as "pedestrian only" and some "equestrian only (no peds, either)" singletrack leading to the pending location for the Clews Horse Ranch. Other than this, we're in a vacuum for substance.

Seems like they ought to have what was discussed in in print, and some maps available for public review before a governing body establishes regulations or a plan with legal teeth. Wouldn't there be some Brown Act and CEQA problems without this?

You mention the lack of comprehensive GPS mapping of trails in this area. Has the area dried out enough to start this? Here's an idea. Are there classes on GPS mapping at UCSD or any of the other local colleges? What a great project.. Or maybe a local shop or two would donate some swag and you could just get the UCSD mtn bike team out there for a day or two, split the area up, ride and GPS it all fast?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
EBasil said:
If you love trailbuilding and politics, you're #1 in my book. Interested in Daley, Hodges, Black Mountain, PQ or Mission Trails? Between SDMBA and those bombthrowers at the MTC, we can let you have some fun.
sweet, when does the fun start. Send the 411 on that.

HarryCallahan said:
Seems like they ought to have what was discussed in in print, and some maps available for public review before a governing body establishes regulations or a plan with legal teeth. Wouldn't there be some Brown Act and CEQA problems without this?

You mention the lack of comprehensive GPS mapping of trails in this area. Has the area dried out enough to start this?
Great points. The "public input" period is still upcoming, but the background is that if the Los Pen Trails Cmte "approves" of a plan, and the City enviro's do too, it's gonna be nearly a done deal. "Nearly" because truly large public outcry could change the plan, but it's otherwise fait accompli after May 16th, when the Los Pen CAC will vote "yea/nea" on the plan to be proposed. CEQA isn't implicated because the "plan" isn't a permit for construction of trails, but rather designation of existing trails and a wish-list for at least one "new" route (which could use existing trail).

So, there will be time for public input, but I think it will be too late.

We saw the current "Draft Trails Plan" on Saturday and, personally, I am not happy with it. My biggest issue is that the Draft sets forth "equestrian only" and "no bikes" areas of the preserve "as set in stone" (ie not for review by the Trails Cmte), but presents no multiuse access from the DMM and absolutely zero "no horse" trails. The City expect the Trails Cmte to discuss whether to designate some existing trails as multiuse, but sets the "no bike" sections as a given.

The draft plan uses the fireroads (not all of them) as the trails, lists the significant trails on the north end of that mesa as "No Bike", and provides ZERO "no horse" multiuse access from the mesa top to the Carmel Valley. Although some of the in-use trails are actually on private property (Clews Horse Ranch) the landowner is under a requirement to give PUBLIC access on the trails, and the City has agreed to LIMIT that access to be just equestrians. Also, the existing Shaw Valley Trail, which was built with public funds, is designated No Bikes. The "plan" has bike access as STREETS, not trails, in many areas.

On April 16th, we're supposed to meet as the Trails Cmte to discuss, "whether" to designate trails like Eucalyptyus and the trail just to the west with the step in it as multiuse trails AT ALL. Any trail not specifically shown on the "trails plan" is one marked as closed, and which they will go out and fence/revegetate, etc...

Anyway, a big difference between "old Los Pen" and this CMM stuff is that all the anti-bike Los Pen rules were created in our absence. We were excluded from the process, so even the City recongnizes those old rules bear re-examination (ergo our work and success to open trails in Los Pen). But, the CMM process "includes" us, so we have to speak loudly now because the "inclusiveness" of the plan means they won't be reopening access discussions for a long time.

--Erik

If you ride, or have ridden, in this area and have GPS maps of particular trails, we could use your help. Right now, we are particularly looking for mappage of:

-- Eucalyptyus Trail all the way down to Fishhead Trail,
-- the trail that tees off of Eucalyptus and then ascends up a set of stepped switchbacks to another Tee,
--both trails off that tee that eventually wind up over near where the big "bowl" has been graded for the pending park.

If you've got them in TOPO, or (best) a version imposed over aerial photos, we want 'em.

Wow, time flies... This thread began when the Multiuse Trails Coalition was out there in PQ all alone, advocating for trails access and preservation at the Carmel Mtn. side of the preserves and just beginning to raise issues regarding the Del Mar Mesa (which wasn't in the plans in 2005 yet). There's not much left of the beloved Eucalyptus Trail anymore, but it's a BIKE/HIKE trail due and we have multiuse access up the N10 trail that it connects to along the CMM preserve.

Now, 3 years after the Del Mar Mesa /"Tunnels" trails issues were raised by the MTC and advocated heavily by MTC and the SDMBA, the PUBLIC HEARING / PRESENTATION for the Del Mar Mesa trails plan will be this month, October, at the Parkview Elementary School. The time and date are not yet firmed. It will be in the evening on a weeknight.

At that time, the City and/or agencies (if they show up) will present their final plan to the public as a fait accompli and one that you cannot change because "they've done all they can do". However, unless the plan changes radically from one they've been asking various planning boards to approve with the least amount of discussion possible, you will find the plan to be lacking in terms of mileage, connectivity and utility for outdoorsmen and other such nature lovers. You may be surprised to learn they've apparently found money for spy cameras, enforcement rangers and a citation program, though.

New features not shown on the maps most recently posted on the MTC site and MTBR include Closure also for the Duck Pond Trail many old timers know as The ****z. Note that such idiocy will concentrate legal riders into even less trail-space (such as Cobblestone) and will then be used by kooks to justify a run to close those trails to you, also, on the basis that there are too many families on bikes on the trail and that the rest of you outlaws are riding on longstanding trails they've just closed down. Tails you lose, Heads they win. --especially if you don't show up because they don't seem to be enforcing anything right now when they want you to snooze.

Were you there in 2008, at the meeting in the Rec Center? How about the 2009 meeting at the elementary school? The format will be similar to those, and the very best thing you could do as a mountainbiker would be to bring 2-10 people you know, dressed for business or work, and be adamant, firm and vocal regarding your feelings and concerns over the trails plan, whatever those may be.

Press will be in attendance. If 150-250 of you "citizens" are, too, then the politicos will have far less stomach for a rubber stamp on this junk and you may get calls for the City to revisit the goofy stance taken by CDFW and the City regarding trails access in this area. Note: Carl DeMaio is on the Task Force and he's running for Mayor. Pam Slater Price is on the Task Force and is retiring -- those who seek to succeed her might perceive public interest in this topic to be important. Nathan Fletcher is aware of the issues, and is running for Mayor. Sherrie Lightner is on the Task Force and is responsive to constituents that speak up and show up (mostly kooky anti-trails types so far).

So, do you have riding crews, riding organizations, church groups, exercise groups at work, a mailing list of buddies, neighbors and more? October will be your last chance to use them on this issue. :thumb:

The public meeting is two, really:

The first is the open CAC meeting, and the second is the Task Force meeting the next day, during the work day, downtown.

Public CAC meeting:

Wednesday October 19 7:00 to 9:00 pm,
at Park Village Elementary (Multipurpose Room/Auditorium)
7930 Park Village Road
San Diego, CA 92129

The detailed agenda will be available early next week. But here (subject to revision) the items to be covered:

a. City Presentation of draft
b. Public Comments/Presentations
c. Consideration of surrounding community board's
letters of opinion.
d. CAC Board comments
e. Board vote(s) on draft.

Items a-d will be information.
Item e will be action.

At this evening's CAC meeting for Los Penasquitos, the committee voted 7-6 to approve the Del Mar Mesa Trails (Closure) Plan, which formally closes more than 85% of the existing trails and specifically excludes the east-west connectors, either through the CDFW land or using Tunnel 3-to-2 to connect across the southerly side of the area. Well over one hundred members of the community were present and not one, other than particular members of the CAC, spoke in favor of the resource management plan, but many spoke publicly out of concern that this plan represents a current and pending failure in land and resource preservation.

The many who oppose this plan believe it is inadequate to protect the habitat and provide public access to diminishing open space, in that it doesn't provide appropriate trails for public access and will result in the criminalization of the public who overwhelmingly oppose the level of trail closures. Note that THERE ARE NO NEW TRAILS, but this is about how many we close. This plan is two trails short and with those two trails will have far less “Trail per acre” than the Carmel Mountain Preserve.

Tomorrow, City staff will represent to the LPQ Task Force (Lighter, DeMaio, Slater-Price) that the CAC has approved the plan and that the Del Mar Mesa, Carmel Valley and Penasquitos community planning boards have also. In the case of the planning boards, their published minutes establish otherwise: they voted NO UNLESS an East-West Connector was added. None has been.

If you believe the DMM Resource management Plan should be rejected by the City Council members and County Supervisor who comprise the “Task Force”, then you must take the following actions, NOW:

1) FAX and Call each of: Carl DeMaio, Sherrie Lightner, Pam Slater-Price, Mayor Sanders and the Union Tribune before 1:00pm tomorrow, October 20th. FAX is better than email these days. LIGHT UP THE PHONES.

2) Come to the Task Force public meeting, tomorrow October 20th at 2pm, downtown, and voice your opinion. Be concise and polite, but firm and honest.

3) Get as many persons as you can to do the same.

4) Look for a report on the Task Force's action and prepare to continue contacts.

The address for the Task Force Meeting is the room right next to City Council Chambers, located at:

12th Floor, Room A
202 C Street
San Diego, 92101

The meeting starts at 2pm. Parking is available in the Concourse and in nearby Ace lots. You must have cash for the concourse.

The contact points for you are:

Sherrie Lightner, Council District 1
Phone: (619) 236-6611
From North County:
(858)*484-3808
Fax: (619) 236-6999
Email Sherri:
sherrilightner@sandiego.gov

Carl DeMaio, Council District 5
Telephone: (619) 236-6655
Fax: (619) 238-0915
Email: carldemaio@sandiego.gov

Supervisor Pam Slater-Price, County District 3
t: (619) 531-5533*
***(800) 852-7334
f: (619) 234-1559

Mayor Jerry Sanders
Phone: (619) 236-6330
Fax: (619) 236-7228
JerrySanders@sandiego.gov

Sorry.. update is the Task Force kicked the can down the road to the volunteer-staffed SD Park & Rec Board, which meets this Thursday.

The staff report for the Park & Rec Board hearing is available online as a 15-page PDF. If you're coming, and if you're writing letters, you want to read this in advance. It's what the committee members have received.

STAFF REPORT HERE And the AGENDA is HERE..

Quick review of the report is on the MTC site.