Quantcast

Carnage / wreck photos from Southridge / Fontana

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
#13 is my friend Rowena. Funny she didn't mention crashing during practice ;)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
From the SoCal gallery.
(Note to self, need to buy extra memory card for even more crash coverage)

Series of unfortunate events. :(

Many were not documented bec I ran out of disc space. Ugh!
Happy thanksgiving, y'all. We'll be riding in Phoenix and Sedona...woot woot!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I love to see guys with no gloves, no back plate, no elbow guards crashing. It's like seeing darwinism in real time. :cheers:

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
I love to see guys with no gloves, no back plate, no elbow guards crashing. It's like seeing darwinism in real time. :cheers:
I paid the price the last 2 days for not wearing pads! :disgust:

P.S. I was #806F White, and navy blue on the Bighit.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
lots of scratched stantions in those falls!

sand. dirt must have been super soft then you hit

rock covered in gravel, still no traction. LOL

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Before you judge on the internet maybe you should have a background of the Fontana races.

There's a mellow top section (little to no rocks, at this race none), then a few hundred feet of rocks (what you saw in the pics), then a wall. A big, flat sprint. Then some little turns and the finish.

When it's 90 degrees and sunny, you're racing in the sand, and the course is mellow save for a few hundred feet, armor is just dumb. And pretty much every crash there ends in scrapes (or at least all mine have).

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I think I saw two Foes FXR's, a few Giant AC's, and a guy on a hardtail that was a bolt of lightning...tough call on picking out a bike/amount of armor. The trailbikes probably gain a lot of time on the smooth sections.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Before you judge on the internet maybe you should have a background of the Fontana races.

There's a mellow top section (little to no rocks, at this race none), then a few hundred feet of rocks (what you saw in the pics), then a wall. A big, flat sprint. Then some little turns and the finish.

When it's 90 degrees and sunny, you're racing in the sand, and the course is mellow save for a few hundred feet, armor is just dumb. And pretty much every crash there ends in scrapes (or at least all mine have).
how old are you? some of us don't bounce so easy any more so don't be so quick to say armor is dumb. regardless of where you're riding its always prudent to cover up.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by ridetoofast
how old are you? some of us don't bounce so easy any more so don't be so quick to say armor is dumb. regardless of where you're riding its always prudent to cover up.
im going to be quick to say that i think armor is dumb on some courses. from what i hear about fontana it is just a sign of weakness to wear that much armor on a course with just one small rock garden. armor is hot, restricting, and just gets in the way. now i understand that there are some older dhillers out there that are all about the stuff, but just because were 15-21 and dont see the need for armor on a section like that back off our case. there our bodies not yours. we want to wear it we will, we dont want to wear it then get over it.

ohh and ouch those crash pics are crazy. good timing and from what i hear the guy with the red tld broke his arm or shoulder or something along those lines. HEAL FAST MAN:cheers:

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Guys,

Armor is a preference, no one is the same. Is it a good idea? Yes, But on a course where the chance of it actually comming to use is very slim, then it probably isn't necessary.

We race downhill, your going to crash, you just have to calculate for yourself how much of your body you want to be protected.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
im going to be quick to say that i think armor is dumb on some courses. from what i hear about fontana it is just a sign of weakness to wear that much armor on a course with just one small rock garden. armor is hot, restricting, and just gets in the way. now i understand that there are some older dhillers out there that are all about the stuff, but just because were 15-21 and dont see the need for armor on a section like that back off our case. there our bodies not yours. we want to wear it we will, we dont want to wear it then get over it.
Well, why wear a helmet then ... it's hot, heavy and restrictive also !
Bottom line is any armor is better than none and if you think you are never going to crash, then keep on dreaming. Some of the worst crashes happen when you least expect it and not always in the tougher sections.

I witnessed numerous bad falls at Whistler this past summer which resulted in broken arms, elbows, collar bones and severe road rash, most occurred on A-line which is about as smooth a trail as there is at Whistler. Most if not all riders were not wearing any armor.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I said it was dumb at Fontana. Come time for Mammoth you wouldn't be able to tell if I was riding or trying out for football.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I said it was dumb at Fontana. Come time for Mammoth you wouldn't be able to tell if I was riding or trying out for football.

i still dont think armor can be dumb for racing dh, might not be the best call if the clock is all you are caring about, but lets face it, thats not the only thing many dhers are thinking of when they are in front of the starter.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
i still dont think armor can be dumb for racing dh, might not be the best call if the clock is all you are caring about, but lets face it, thats not the only thing many dhers are thinking of when they are in front of the starter.
Yeah, good point, but honestly I think if you saw the rest of the trail you'd understand.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
riding, especially downhill, is about calculating risks i think. Some XC trails are pretty gnarly and XC'ers don't wear pads. Some world cup dh racers don't wear pads (and wear skinsuits), yet if they get hurt it could knock them out of contention to continue racing a series or for good. Would the benefit of racing every race outweigh saving 1-2 seconds on a course?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah, good point, but honestly I think if you saw the rest of the trail you'd understand.
I've seen the rest and I gotta agree, it only takes one fall to mess you up. The rest of the course was not to bad, but anything can happen at anytime.

Also that section with the rocks wasn't bad, but if you went down, you were going to go down huge at speed.

I wore full armor all weekend, yeah it was hot out there, but i would have been hot not matter what.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
i have a mortgage and therefore a 9 to 5, armor is not an option.

racing DH is risky, on any coarse and if wearing armor doesn't have you riding with more confidence then you probably haven't fallen that hard.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am just 37 and have been riding/racing bikes for 25 years as well as skating, snowboarding, surfing,etc, etc my whole life. I have gotten hurt many times that were easy to blow off when I was younger, but have added up to more that their individuial sums.
In less that a month I am going in for a spinal fusion surgery (my second spine surgery). I also have two other discs that are degenerating from 'over use'(will most likely fail) and somewhere along the line (without knowing it) fractured a vertebrae. I have a possibility of not being able to participate in 'active' things the rest of my life. (although I just built a trail bike and new wheels for the DH bike).

Armor is your choice! Just be aware of the consequences!!

rant off!

Great pics BTW!! Little different than our weather +:biggrin:

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Well, why wear a helmet then ... it's hot, heavy and restrictive also !
Bottom line is any armor is better than none and if you think you are never going to crash, then keep on dreaming. Some of the worst crashes happen when you least expect it and not always in the tougher sections.

I witnessed numerous bad falls at Whistler this past summer which resulted in broken arms, elbows, collar bones and severe road rash, most occurred on A-line which is about as smooth a trail as there is at Whistler. Most if not all riders were not wearing any armor.
I am one who almost never wears armor. I used to, when riding really rocky terrain, but I felt like I fell more because I was wearing it and it made it waaay harder to maneuver, it pretty much destroyed my riding style. It could have been because it didn't fit perfect (def. would have helped to have better fit), and was just too bulky for my tastes to begin with. I will be picking up some different armor this next year, but I still can't say I will wear it much, unless it fits like a glove and doesn't make me feel like a robot.

As to your ideaas about A-Line, I can see armor protecting road rash, but broken c-bones and elbows, etc? I really doubt it would save you from a broken collarbone as my friend has broken his 2 times while wearing some Dainese armor, I can't say on the elbow or arm, but I couldn't imagine it being really different?

My thoughts on it are if you don't want to wear armor, it is your choice. I don't like to wear it because it seems to restrict my movement, others have their own reasons. So who cares? Its not like the people seen crashing in this thread are asking for your sympathy.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
In less that a month I am going in for a spinal fusion surgery (my second spine surgery). I also have two other discs that are degenerating from 'over use'(will most likely fail) and somewhere along the line (without knowing it) fractured a vertebrae. :
Damn dude! That's sketchy. Would you describe more what was the reason of the "over-use"? Impact? Weight-lifting?

Thanks and good luck weith your surgery!