Quantcast

Carrying my PCMCIA. Wha..?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I just purchased one of these things for my laptop (a wireless PCMCIA) and I'm wondering, should I keep this thing in some type of protective sleeve? It doesn't look brittle, but I can imagine that dust getting into it is not a good thing and seeing as how it'll be floating in my bag... you get the picture.

So what, stick it in a ziplock and be happy? Do I need to worry about static? Should I go drink a beer and quit being such a puss about it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It should have come in a static-free bag, just keep it in that. That's what I do.

I figure it's dumb to leave a realtively expensive card just kicking around loose in my computer bag. And there's a reason computer components come in static-free bags.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Yeah, problem is that my static free bag was tossed by the roommate. I suppose I can find something around here...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
macko said:
Yeah, problem is that my static free bag was tossed by the roommate. I suppose I can find something around here...
Walk down to the IT department wherever you work and tell them you need one. They'll have a million laying around.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tenchiro said:
You could probably just store it in your laptop and simply remove the antennae when it isn't in use.
I've never owned a card that had a real anntena, they've just had a permanently attached plastic chunk that sticks out about 3/4" with some LEDs on it. So I can't really store it in the laptop - I assume that's what macko's problem is, as a lot of the wireless cards don't have a removable antenna.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
No removeable antenna here. I could've gotten an internal wireless card but I've heard through the grapevine that these titanium-encased laptops aren't very permeable when it comes to wireless signals. Oh well.

Just in case you cared, the roommate bought a digital camera this weekend and the anti-static bag one of his cables came in fits my wi-fi card perfectly. Like a ga-looove!