Quantcast

cars

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am getting tired of throwing all my money into bikes so I have decided to throw some in cars. I will be getting my dads a4 in a month so my ideas are the following. Keep my jetta with vr6 and do some euro mods. The jetta has 195k miles on it. Sell the jetta and buy a bmw 2002 with little rust and rebuild the engine and have a fun car to drive around. Sell the jetta and buy a e30 m3, car won't need much work so I dont think it would be as much fun. I am looking for a car I can mess around with, and do everything myself. That is the biggest reason I like the 2002, not to mention I have always liked how it looked and they can be found for a reasonable price.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Since you seem to be on a budget, pick up a Honda Civic and stick a fart can on it. Modding german cars are $$. btw, what year make/model a4 is it?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Since you seem to be on a budget, pick up a Honda Civic and stick a fart can on it. Modding german cars are $$. btw, what year make/model a4 is it?
My Honda Civic is indeed badass. 38mpg with the stock Vtec no mods. Cheap, fun, fast, and comfortable. All I need really....

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
audi is a 2006 2.0t with 80k miles on it
Well that's $600 to chip it
About $4400 for a turbo upgrade
$1050 for a cat-back exhaust
Around $380 for an intake
etc...

Are you going to do it right the first time and buy quality parts or JB Weld your way to street racer stardom?

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I am getting tired of throwing all my money into bikes so I have decided to throw some in cars. I will be getting my dads a4 in a month so my ideas are the following. Keep my jetta with vr6 and do some euro mods. The jetta has 195k miles on it. Sell the jetta and buy a bmw 2002 with little rust and rebuild the engine and have a fun car to drive around. Sell the jetta and buy a e30 m3, car won't need much work so I dont think it would be as much fun. I am looking for a car I can mess around with, and do everything myself. That is the biggest reason I like the 2002, not to mention I have always liked how it looked and they can be found for a reasonable price.
Please don't go anywhere near two of my favorite cars. e30 m3's are not for novice drivers, or novice modders; nor are 2k2's. Play with vw's theres much higher numbers of those going around for you to destroy, save the e30 m3's for the real enthusiasts.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i really dont understand how you guys call me a bad driver. in my accident when i lost control of my car i managed to bring it up on a bank MISSING the telephone pole then back onto the road. yes there was some luck in that, but if i really sucked at driving i would be in a pole by now.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Don't get upset Pink. You've just become part of the Ridemonkey culture. Y'know like LO's lactating and n8..um...well being n8. :p

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
keep the Jetta, and STRIP IT OUT. remove seats, sound-proofing, spare, etc, and see how light you can get it. concentrate your upgrades on suspension and wheels first, so that if/when you want to add power you'll be at a good starting point.

remember, even with just a $600 chip your A4 will be quite a bit more powerful than the Jetta, so concentrate on lightweight and driveability instead. have one car that you can beat the snot out of, and one to drive every day.

splat

Nam I am
I am getting tired of throwing all my money into bikes so I have decided to throw some in cars.

If you thought Bikes were expensive , you ain't seen Nothing yet!!!

i really dont understand how you guys call me a bad driver. in my accident when i lost control of my car i managed to bring it up on a bank MISSING the telephone pole then back onto the road. yes there was some luck in that, but if i really sucked at driving i would be in a pole by now.
Because you were dumb enough to post it here . its called blood in the water and wait for the Sharks

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
lols, my semi-informative and mostly flaming drunken post from last night was beleted. depression.

You won't be able to sell your Jetta for anything, at least not enough for an M3 (I'll be shocked if your parents want to pay for the insurance on that one), or a 2002 that doesn't need at least $5k in resto work. You might be able to track down a clean e30 325is or 318is for what you sell the Jetta for.

The 325is is I think the only car I've driven that I'm happy with stock, aside from tires and brake pads, and it's cheap and easy to work on. Buy that or a Miata if you want a track toy...maybe a 240SX, if you don't mind it getting stolen. Learn to drive a slow car fast, and then bump up the HP.

re: what everyone is saying about the cost of cars. They're completely right. Bikes cost NOTHING compared to "tuning" cars. The cost to keep them running is obscene, not even mentioning upgrading to performance parts and such.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...it's cheap and easy to work on.
:rofl:

I hope you never have to change a clutch and/or trans. Not only do you have to pull half the car apart underneath to get the trans out, but the trans is held in using 6 (I think it was 6) different sized FEMALE torx bolts. As if that wasn't bad enough, one of the bolts goes through the bell housing and has a nut on the front side UNDER the starter.

It was a 3 man job when I replaced mine. Made me rethink the "deal" I got when I paid $225 for the car.

Why they routed the exhaust across the trans is beyond me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
:rofl:

I hope you never have to change a clutch and/or trans. Not only do you have to pull half the car apart underneath to get the trans out, but the trans is held in using 6 (I think it was 6) different sized FEMALE torx bolts. As if that wasn't bad enough, one of the bolts goes through the bell housing and has a nut on the front side UNDER the starter.

It was a 3 man job when I replaced mine. Made me rethink the "deal" I got when I paid $225 for the car.

Why they routed the exhaust across the trans is beyond me.
Maybe if you didn't buy beaten piles of sh!t you wouldn't have to be swapping transmissions? Compared to a 300ZX or RX7 this thing is a frigging cakewalk.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I'd look into a Miata if you are on a budget..and are interested in a track car. If you are looking to get away from expensive euro cars then look no further then a lovely Japanese car... might i recommend a Subaru :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe if you didn't buy beaten piles of sh!t you wouldn't have to be swapping transmissions? Compared to a 300ZX or RX7 this thing is a frigging cakewalk.
It was far from beaten. It was in damn good shape, but the clutch was crap and the trans was weak. I swapped the E trans for the IS. With the larger E motor and a close ration IS trans, the difference was night and day.

Who the hell puts 6 different sized bolts on a transmission? (besides BMW, of course).

Keep a close eye on that timing belt, too. That sucker is a lot worse than my 300zx was.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i want a euro car, not as a track car. I want something to just have as something of a touring car with an older feel. its going to sound really stupid but i was driving an mgb after i did an oil change on it and the wooden momo steering wheel was the nicest thing i have felt. i dont want an mg after hearing all of my dads horror stories about it when he had one back in the day. i have also considered a mini but they are a little to small to be safe for driving in nj. I am looking for a 2002 right now and they seem quite cheep for what condition they are in. I have access to lifts and the such so dropping to engine and doing a rebuild shouldnt be to hard.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
i want a euro car, not as a track car. I want something to just have as something of a touring car with an older feel. its going to sound really stupid but i was driving an mgb after i did an oil change on it and the wooden momo steering wheel was the nicest thing i have felt. i dont want an mg after hearing all of my dads horror stories about it when he had one back in the day. i have also considered a mini but they are a little to small to be safe for driving in nj. I am looking for a 2002 right now and they seem quite cheep for what condition they are in. I have access to lifts and the such so dropping to engine and doing a rebuild shouldnt be to hard.
You can spend the rest of your life looking to buy **** to fill the voids you have... and it will never enough. A car is just a means of transportation, and the sooner you realize that driving performance will never equate to personal happiness, the sooner you can start saving your/your parents money for something meaningful. Quit worrying so much about cars already unless you have a practical reason to be doing so. If you're being provided something sufficient, try spending your time and brainpower on something that could ultimately benefit yourself or humanity in some way instead of constantly being a danger to it. There are enough a-holes with too much vehicle for them to handle on the road as it is.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
"Sell the jetta and buy a bmw 2002 with little rust and rebuild the engine and have a fun car to drive around."

Get a 2002, they are the most fun cars to drive and work on. I could not be happier with owning one, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikefanatic/2204928200/sizes/l/

If you're looking for something cheaper to do, don't get into cars though. I've already spent at least 10k on mine and by the time the EFI, turbo, and other mods are done I'm looking at 20-25K, it's not cheap but it is addicting and fun.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Cars are the biggest god damn waste of money on the planet.

Gas, Oil, Consumables, Excise Tax, Insurance. CAN YOU SAY BIG F'N SCAM?
My first day back in the lounge in months and I get to read a KS scam conspiracy. God bless America.

:busted:

my .02 upgrade the Audi, it'll be cheaper to get it running fast, and if you do it smart you can still reliably use it day to day.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You can spend the rest of your life looking to buy **** to fill the voids you have... and it will never enough. A car is just a means of transportation, and the sooner you realize that driving performance will never equate to personal happiness, the sooner you can start saving your/your parents money for something meaningful. Quit worrying so much about cars already unless you have a practical reason to be doing so. If you're being provided something sufficient, try spending your time and brainpower on something that could ultimately benefit yourself or humanity in some way instead of constantly being a danger to it. There are enough a-holes with too much vehicle for them to handle on the road as it is.
amen. took me a few expensive larks to realize this myself.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
And a BS rant too... OMG! Awesome.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
*Golf Clap*:clapping:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
seriously!...search for threads you started then think about it again...D