Quantcast

Cartridges: ohlins vs avalanche (open bath and sealed)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just curious to similarities and differences...i like the looks of ohlins as well seems to be pretty solid...so ohlins came out with a 40 cartridge Craig at avalanche has his but 2 iterations.. 1 open bath , 1 sealed (now discontinued)...

(I haven't kept track while hiatus)

What's the take on them, differences and reviews...haven't seen a comparison or what's the same vs different...

I have the sealed unit from Craig for my float 40 last month and parts to convert to hybrid coil set up if I choose...
I like it, had some user set up error but it was a psi sag thing and went ahead listen to Craig and BuckoW....problem seems to be taken care of...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
What are you looking to achieve that the rc2 inverted cartridge doesn't?

A lot of people got a bad taste from the pre inverted with the internal bladder and had to have a moar reliablez open bath.

But imo the inverted rc2 works well and offers a pretty wide range, and you could easily put moar shimz

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What are you looking to achieve that the rc2 inverted cartridge doesn't?

A lot of people got a bad taste from the pre inverted with the internal bladder and had to have a moar reliablez open bath.

But imo the inverted rc2 works well and offers a pretty wide range, and you could easily put moar shimz
Yeah I have the fox cart in my other and like the way it rides...

I like the avy better not leaps and bounds, the fox is nice...but the avy is just better feeling and controlled. it's just smoother with a bit heavier feel (not due to weight) but a smoother controlled feel...since messing with it and getting the psi and chatter figured out it just holds better in berms mid speed and blows off so no spike or drop ontop of holding line....it's weird being high in travel but it is where it wants to be...so I won't piss and moan about function...

I do like the fox damper it's damn good...had a few good runs on my other at crestline and TC jump line...handles damn solid...

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah I have the fox cart in my other and like the way it rides...

I like the avy better not leaps and bounds, the fox is nice...but the avy is just better feeling and controlled. it's just smoother with a bit heavier feel (not due to weight) but a smoother controlled feel...since messing with it and getting the psi and chatter figured out it just holds better in berms mid speed and blows off so no spike or drop ontop of holding line....it's weird being high in travel but it is where it wants to be...so I won't piss and moan about function...

I do like the fox damper it's damn good...had a few good runs on my other at crestline and TC jump line...handles damn solid...
Where might the bull have the rc2 high speed adjuster set?
12? Below 10?
I suspect you would be a candidate for 1 moar shimz

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Where might the bull have the rc2 high speed adjuster set?
12? Below 10?
I suspect you would be a candidate for 1 moar shimz
Wherever it doesn't chuck or kick back into wrists or buckle knees...I'd have to look I start off with a baseline and adjust from there.
I have a routine for dialing in shocks and forks from wide open and adjust from.there comp then reb.. high speed obviously is reshim but fox has that pretty dialed ....

I like the range of low speed on the rc2 same thing with the charger 2 damper....pretty damn broad and effective....

Last edited: