Quantcast

cask conditioned ale....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
After having a cask conditioned Blue Point Hoptical Illusion ale last night at our local beer bar, Mahars ( http://www.itsonlybeer.com ), I found that I had a hard time going back to "regular" tap beer (sipping my wife's Franziskaner). Everything else seemed too cold and too carbonated.

Anyone else have this experience?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yep, my local brewery, Deschutes, always has a cask conditioned beer on tap. THEY ARE AWESOME

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Redbones used to have Tremont on cask all the time...over the last few years they just have some casks ales on Mondays, maybe....not a good trend.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
There's a cask festival here in Seattle once a year (Most of the brewpubs and specialty bars have at least 2 casks on tap...).

It was insane this year. 4 hours, 35 breweries, at least 2 different beers per brewery....all you can drink. I tried every beer (EVERY BEER!!!!). Then went back to the ones' I really liked...I took the Skrddddddshuttles approach and if I didn't like it I tossed it. (samples were 3 oz.)

Then we went on a pub crawl (the session we were at was started at noon...)

Holy crap. I think I still have all the notes I made...somewhere....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> Then went back to the ones' I really liked...I took the Skrddddddshuttles approach and if I didn't like it I tossed it. (samples were 3 oz.)

Then we went on a pub crawl (the session we were at was started at noon...)

Holy crap. I think I still have all the notes I made...somewhere....
Yup - no point getting $hitty on $hitty beer. :D

Break out those notes!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
If you don't have a good "real ale" drinker base then you're screwed. The vast majority will pout about the beer being "too warm and flat." :plthumbsdown:
If they're keeping the lines busy then nothing beats a hand-pulled ale. If it has been sitting in the pipes for a while in summer it can be ordinary.