Quantcast

cassette drivers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I blew mine up today. Bearings cracked. Dang. For a replacement, what's the compatibility? Are they all compatible? (My guess is no) The hub is from a stock Kink Apex (2007), no markings whatsoever, so I'm guessing its generic. FWIW Its a 9Tx14mm. I was looking at Dan's Comp and the Blackout Driver looks almost identical to mine (would also make sense since Blackout is Kink's N.America distributor).

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
just the bearings broke or the actual mechanism? you can get replacment bearings if thats what ya need.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
yea just the bearings. the pawls are fine. Wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort to replace the bearings.
i dont really hear of blown driver bearings in cassettes too often. freecoasters yes. i just blew out my khe freecoaster 9T driver bearings (super tiny 6802 bearing). i picked up 2 from dans for 5 ea.
http://www.danscomp.com/437060.php?cat=PARTS
the number you need is written on the seal of bearing. could be worth it, drivers are around $50. how long did the driver last you so far? i guess that would determine if its worth it or not. btw you could also bring the bearing to your local hardware store or bearing house, they could sort you out some new ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dont really hear of blown driver bearings in cassettes too often. freecoasters yes. i just blew out my khe freecoaster 9T driver bearings (super tiny 6802 bearing). i picked up 2 from dans for 5 ea.
http://www.danscomp.com/437060.php?cat=PARTS
the number you need is written on the seal of bearing. could be worth it, drivers are around $50. how long did the driver last you so far? i guess that would determine if its worth it or not. btw you could also bring the bearing to your local hardware store or bearing house, they could sort you out some new ones.
yea, it was the actual cassette bearings. Just the inner one, not the outer:

Go figure. That's why I asked, wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to even bother.

edit: It's about 7 or 8 months old.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Get some new bearings, replace them both! Pretty simple to do, unless the outer casing of the old bearings is all that's left.... it's a real bitch to get them out if that happens.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Get some new bearings, replace them both! Pretty simple to do, unless the outer casing of the old bearings is all that's left.... it's a real bitch to get them out if that happens.
Yea the outer casing is all that's left. I'll give it a shot to see. Thanks for the info everyone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
update: was able to get the old bearing casings out. New bearings here I come. Plus extras. I'm half tempted to order an extra driver and keep it in my riding bag in case this sh*t ever happens again.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i just got my driver bearings too. it wouldnt hurt to pry the seal off the new ones and pack more grease in em. they dont go out of their way to fully pack these - just fyi.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
soooooooooooooooooooooo it happened again. Its still functional, but I heard a familiar mini crack out of the back end during a 3hr skate park sesh the other night. Checked it when I got home, sure enough the middle bearing is starting to feel rough. I wound up replacing the entire driver with an Odyssee from the LBS last time, so that leads me to believe the issue may lie with the spindle? any thoughts? could it be something else? Or am I just being too much of a hack rider? FWIW each time I heard the "bearing crack noise" I was pedaling moderately hard, driveside foot forward.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what odyssey 9T? their new drivers are not available yet, only as complete wheel. is it the odyssey 10T? they say the new driver will last longer. http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/2008/12/9t-driver/#more-2128

sucks regardless. i guess go up to a 10T...
idk, I guess its an older driver then? Its definitely 9T, and definitely Odyssey.

edit: I wonder if there's going to be a way to retrofit the needle bearings into the older driver? I seriously doubt it, but it'd be nice.

Last edited:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Is ur chain line lined up str8? Or was your hub nuts not on snug? I ride ody wheels on all my bikes and I'm pretty rough. I grind 90% of the time when I ride and only went through one set of driver bearings. I replaced the hub bearings twice with a long period in between.

Yea the new needle bearing drivers only go down to 10t.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea my chainline is straight. The hub nuts were snug too. So I'm starting to wonder if its the spindle. Also, the hub isn't an Odyssey, its some generic hub that came on my bike (got it as a complete). I've been considering building new wheels anyways, so this might be a good excuse.

Uh, the new needle bearing drivers are definitely available as 9T. Its the title of the article on Odyssey's site.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ratchet to a rollcage or 7ka! that would be luscious.

if you blow the ratchet driver out than you need a medal haha. ratchet's only 10t atm.