Quantcast

cassette hub vs screw on freewheel hub

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Cassette hubs allow you to run extremely small rear cogs, like as small as 11 teeth. Which allows you to run a smaller front chainring. Which reduces weight and gives more clearance. I don't think either is more durable or smooth though.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
IMO, casette is better. I hate freewheels, they're plain crap... The threads can seize, the ratchets can go rat****, and they always seem to be off centre/out of round, giving your chain a tight spot.

A-Pro

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
I agree freewheels cause tight spots in your chain, and get your chain line off....I run a stealth hub....it's so much smoother than the freewheel I used to run....

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Cassett is probably better functionally and definitely easier to deal with, but freewheels are much cheaper.

Also, it seems the typical BMX'er is the original retro-grouch. "New? We don't need anything new. What we gots works fine... :mad: "

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i rode a bmx bike from 82 until 98 when i stopped from total burnout. I only raced for a year then i was into the stunt riding. once we started riding street in the late 80's, i always had a bent sprocket and loose spots in my chain.

I recently got the addiction again and purchased a new bike. one thing I noticed was the cassette hub. I was instantly stoked. why?

this meant I could have a smaller back sprocket, so I didn't have to have a HUGE 1/4 inch steel dropout to cover my 16 tooth freewheel. this means a lighter frame, and I'm small and weak so that's good for me. it also meant I could run a smaller front sprocket. a smaller front sprocket is harder to bend as there is less torque when you land on it. it also gives your bike more clearance on ramps and other obstacles. and it's out of the way more for riding flatland.

this is why I like the cassette hubs.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
yeah, one more vote here for the cassette hub (maybe a king if you've got the bling?) the bearings are better distributed in the cassette freewheel, making them a lot less likely to burn out. plus the engagement systems and bearings are much better quality in a hub versus a freewheel because hubs are meant to last forever while a freewheel is made to be thrown out eventually.
cassette.

ben.