Quantcast

Cassette sprocket compatability

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
Yar, Maybe I'm a wuss, but 44:16 seems a little high for me. So I wanna get a 18tooth sprocket and a half-link while im at it.
I've got the mosh freedom cassette.

Are all bmx/ss cassette sprockets interchangeable(within a thickness)?
How do I tell sprocket tooth thickness(1/8,3/16,blah).
How do I tell my chain thickness?

If theres an idiots guide on the web feel free to point me to it.

Thanks

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
if you have a 3/16" chain, you'll kow it. They're super huge. KMC415 and the KinkFatBoy are both examples of 3/16" chains. The standard BMX chain is 1/8" My personal favorite is the KMC410H model. It's light enough, yet has really thick side plates, hence the "H" designation to it's model number.

you'll be fine with any 1/8" setup.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If it's a cassette hub, why not go with a smaller chainring and sprocket, and get less weight and more ground clearance...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use a Kink, but they aren't the cheapest ones. If you don't have a local shop with good stuff in stock, just check Dan's Comp. Or call Trailblazers, we ship :D

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
So, how do I figure out which sprockets are compatable with my cassette? do i have to find someone who carries mosh sprockets or are they all shimano compatible?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
They are definitely NOT Shimano sprockets... I don't know if all BMX cassette sprockets are the same, I always assumed they were. :confused:

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
Well I know shimano makes bmx specific sprockets for their DX hubs, they're like $5 in town. But the guy at the shop said he'd have to see my hubs to know if they're compatable. I've got the tailgate off my truck right now, and im perpetually lazy, so i havent made it down yet.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I *think* any cassette sprocket will work. Except the ones for Chris King's hubs. Those are specific to his stuff, or so I hear. Don't quote me on that, though.

Your bike didn't come with a 3/16" chain. There aren't that many people left that use 'em at all, really. It's most likely a 1/8" model.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
yes you can use shimano sprockets on your hub however keep in mind that every tooth you change in the back it equals 2 teeth up front...also not all cassettes are the same king is diff from mosh, mosh is different from kore, etc.. your local shop should be able to tell you over the phone what you need if they are a decent shop...later adam

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
If the hub has one of these on its a normal bmx hub

A so called cassette hub is essentially like a mtb hub that can only fit one sprocket and they are much less common than the hubs that take a screw on freewheel.

I would recomend to change the chainwheel to a smaller one, less weight, increase clearance and depending on your cranks will be easier to fit than a freewheel.