Quantcast

Cassettes: Sram 990 vs Shimano xt

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
i wanna upgrade my 8 speed to a 9 speed and i have decided to go with sram shifters/deraileurs (x9 or x0). i haven't decided on a cassette to go with all this yet. just looking for something that shifts well. weight is important, but not a priority.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
It's really 6 to one, half -dozen to the other. The new SRAM PG-990 has a badass-looking red-anodized spider, and the Shimano spider looks very similar, just black. I have used both, and they both shift very well, however, I have experienced far better wear with my SRAM PG than the Shimano I run now.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
I have both on my bikes, an XT on my marin, and a new 990 on my ironhorse. They are both nice, and both around the same price, i think the sram will be a little more durable though because the gears look more reinforced.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I've used the older PG 990 with the composite spider and its durability was horrible in comparison with a XT I had. I guess the newer one has been improved.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
MtnbikeMike said:
I've used the older PG 990 with the composite spider and its durability was horrible in comparison with a XT I had. I guess the newer one has been improved.
No doubt, I have had durability issues with the older PG990 cassettes as well. My '05 model cassette was different though, for some mysterious reason. Maybe SRAM just ahs inadequate quality control.

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
WKC said:
Yeah, the new SRAM PG990 looks trick, I'll definitely be putting one on my bike soon. What kinda bike you building?
i'm building an ih yakuza fr frame. it's a stock aniki with a grizzle billet der. hanger. prolly gonna put my old haro bigblocks on there.