Quantcast

cassettes

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
if two cassettes are called "8-speed", is there any functional differences between 'em? And with regards to my 105 rear-derail, is there anything I'd need to do different between two cassettes, say one is 11-25, another is 12-28.

In otherwords, can I use any 8-speed cassette?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Are you thinking of switching from an 11-25 to a 12-28? If so you might need to lengthen your chain - shifting will not be as crisp if the chain is too long or short.

I know you are getting into mountain climbs, but unless you have a touring load to contend with, I would just tough it out with your triple and the 11-25 - it will make you a stronger rider. :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Are you thinking of switching from an 11-25 to a 12-28? If so you might need to lengthen your chain - shifting will not be as crisp if the chain is too long or short.
Thanks!

Originally posted by Serial Midget
I know you are getting into mountain climbs, but unless you have a touring load to contend with, I would just tough it out with your triple and the 11-25 - it will make you a stronger rider. :thumb:
Ha! Exactly.

I'm now able to spin -- albeit in granny on the moderately steep stuff (6-9%), but I'm hammering in the steeper sections and it burns me out. Yesterday, I did a 42 mile ride (Nederland area) with a 10mile segment of ~6%. Granted, I was in granny gear, but I felt I could go all day long. It was a great feeling and I'd like to be able to spin the steeper stuff.

But I'll take your advice and not get an easier cassette.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you are comfortably able to maintain a spin of 75 - 85 then I would keep what you have. I run an 11-23 with my 39-51 and can handle most highway grades - I switch to my trusty Univega Super Poo for anything with sustained climbs at grades over 8% - it has a 12-27 and 42-53 and non-indexed friction shifting. :)

Keep your training up and by the end of summer you'll begin to think of the granny gear as nothing more than dead weight. :D

gk02

Chimp
Apr 24, 2002
a shimano rear road derailler will supposedly not pick up anything larger than a 27, campy long cage rear deraillers will pick up a 29, but I have never tried anything bigger than a 27 with a shimano rear derailler so good luck with a 28.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
LO,

The most important is to know your sweet spot ratio...

I'll never go wrong with 15-16-17-19T....as long as any cogset have this, I'll be safe and happy....and 25T for my big mama climb...

For 9sp...you can opted for Ultegra cogset which have 12-25T. I strongly discourage you from 8sp since you already having 9sp.

Good luck!

Regards
sbw

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by The Jinx
LO,

I'll never go wrong with 15-16-17-19T....as long as any cogset have this, I'll be safe and happy....and 25T for my big mama climb...

man i would have laughed at you a short while ago but damnit i'm missing a 16 on my road bike and it is the perfect gear.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by The Jinx
LO,

For 9sp...you can opted for Ultegra cogset which have 12-25T. I strongly discourage you from 8sp since you already having 9sp.

Good luck!

Regards
sbw
hey bro, thanks! Thing is, my roadie came 8sp.

I believe you when you say you've discovered your sweet gear spot, but in such variable terrain, how can that matter? I mean, on an average ride, the grade changes from -6% to +6% and fluctuates everywhere in between, some rides with spikes at 15+%... so, umm, how would I need specific gears with so much change?