Quantcast

Castles in the sky, Daves impending disastrous house build thread

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I unboxed the plinths yesterday then tidied up the site to give an uncluttered workspace for the builders before I headed off to work.
This morning when I got home from another overnight shift (apologies in advance for any errors in this post, I've been awake now for 36 hours, and am pretty wrecked)
The steel portals finally arrived!!!

So the site started the day like this.
start of day.jpg

Which quickly became this.

2a.jpg

Then,

2b.jpg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Interesting that the columns on the downhill side appear well centered on their pads while the uphill side are on the edge.
shhh

no one needs to know that the cross bars were made a wee bit short

Dave, why is your house elevated from the ground again?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Forgot to update!

Got the 1st layer of the flooring down on Monday, 20mm treated Plywood, there will be another layer of floor on top of this, which will be more "presentable". In the future there will be carpet etc, but for now the budget says "Bare wood floors".
20231127_155501.jpg

Even on the really shit days like today, this place is just so bloody beautiful!

7274fc8bb625fa24.png

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Scaffolder's turn up either tomorrow or Tuesday, then the wall framing should arrive on Thursday.
Won't have a roof on before they stop for Christmas unfortunately.
The Consulate in Buffalo still hasn't returned my voluntary surrendered Passport. Otherwise, I would be there helping you finish up.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The Consulate in Buffalo still hasn't returned my voluntary surrendered Passport. Otherwise, I would be there helping you finish up.
Yes, it was brought to my attention, I had your passport destroyed, and your name added to the no fly list.
We were concerned that you may be infected with the Amerikafuckyeahfreedummuthafuckers virus.
So it was felt that this was the best option.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yes, it was brought to my attention, I had your passport destroyed, and your name added to the no fly list.
We were concerned that you may be infected with the Amerikafuckyeahfreedummuthafuckers virus.
So it was felt that this was the best option.
Seems reasonable. Yet a hurtful assumption still the same. Since testing for Amerikafuckyeahfreedummuthafuckers virus involves rectal thermometer reading. I going to pass on any denialism at this point. For myself and anyone that would have to hold me down against my will to administer such a measure. I am ok spending a few days in the hospital just for some green and red Jello. I also enjoy poorly cut citrus, bananas, applesauce and raisin's.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Progress!

Came home last night to find that the wall framing had arrived and the scaffolders had finally turned up!
Builders had already started putting the walls up while waiting for the scaffolders to get their gear up the hill, but had to stop once the scaffold crew started working.
All the lower floor walls, both internal and external are now in place.

20231207_191733.jpg

View out the bedroom window.
20231207_195710.jpg

View out the lounge window.
20231207_195756.jpg

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Pink lumber? Treated?
Nope, although that pink colour fades within a week if left in the NZ sun (high UV content).
The bracing you can see is the same stuff but has been on the site laying in the sun for a week and a bit.

*edit* just checked the specs, so that stuff isn't treated (not required for internal framing).

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Nope, although that pink colour fades within a week if left in the NZ sun (high UV content).
The bracing you can see is the same stuff but has been on the site laying in the sun for a week and a bit.

*edit* just checked the specs, so that stuff isn't treated (not required for internal framing).
Dave, I believe it is treated but not to the same level as the ‘green’ stuff that can sit in wet ground.

Edit: Yes, it H1.2 Boron treated to resist fungal growth and bugs eating it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah big 100x200 laminated beams for the lintles on all but the one onto where the deck will be. That one has a massive 300x300 reclaimed hardwood bbeam running across the middle of the 5m high glass wall.

Last edited: