Quantcast

Caveat emptor...My frame came dented.....What would you do???

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
:redhot: So the Big Hit frame I recently got off of here came with a dented toptube and play in the rear linkage. The play is very noticable so i'll probably have to replace th eshock linkage, and the dent is not the biggest i've seen on a big hit but it's certainly not pretty, nor what I payed for:redhot: .

There was no mention of eother of these when the add was on here, or when i talked to him on the phone.

It's a 04 big hit comp, I payed near $400. What would you do. Or rather, what is the next step....

I still want the frame but feel I may have overpayed and am owed some for essentail details being left out.

Up until now i've had nothing but good expereinces on line in buying items. I gues that it goes to show that it truly is
Caveat Emptor.

:help: Let me know what ya'll think,

John

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
First step is always to contact the seller, if that doesn't work - off to the 'bad seller' forum and post as much information about the seller as possible.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
PM him about and if he doesn't do anything make a really big deal about it until he does.

J

JRB

I would have a conversation with the seller.

It's funny - when I bought my Dean from a guy in KY, he sent pics and all. When I got it, the dropout was cracked. I called him and asked. He got pretty defensive. He had insured it, but UPS was claiming packing flaws. I called him back and he pretty much said, "not my problem". I worked through the whole thing with UPS and got the claim paid. He was really stand offish about the whole thing. His shop did a sh*t job with packing, but I got it handled. I don't know he posts here, so I never posted it, but will warn people if I ever see his name. Insult to injury was that the seat tube wasn't reamed and they were using 26.8mm post instead of a 27.2mm, so I was out $40 for that too. I dremeled it out and used the right one, but it pissed me off. I was really skeptical of folks for a bit, but if someone has a decent rep, they usually make it right.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's kind of a grey area, some people feel compelled to share, others don't and make the buyer ask the questions. Just about any used frame will have a dent or two - I know all mine do. Unless it is so bad that it's a structural issue, you shouldn't be surprised. Plus, pretty much all suspension linkages develop play and need service from time to time. And if the seller is a monkey chances are decent they actually ride, which increases the likliehood of getting a well-worn frame.

If the seller didn't lie and you never asked, it's your problem and is one of the risks of buying stuff without seeing it first. $400 is cheap. A pristine frame with recently rebuilt suspension would cost more but you didn't want to pay more so...there you go.

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
I aksed the questions and i saw some pictures.

The dent was not visible in the pics, and the response was there is nothing wrong with the frame, straight, true, undented,no play, works great, etc.....

John

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Mizzle said:
I aksed the questions and i saw some pictures.

The dent was not visible in the pics, and the response was there is nothing wrong with the frame, straight, true, undented,no play, works great, etc.....

John
Well in that case there is nothing grey about it, it is called fraud.

If it was like you say you are not doing anyone any favors by not disclosing the focker's name.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not to defend the seller here if he was wrong, but UPS, Fedex and Canada / Royal / US postal have all managed to screw up some frames pretty badly. One good drop or bang and a frame can be dented.

Was it insured in shipping? You may want to look into that.

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
I wouldn't dream of posting a name until there is no other alternative. It's for sure unethical to slander.

As far as those that are claiming that 400 is cheap your right but, That's also about 3 weeks or rather 90+ hours of me working as a waiter. A lot of time to invest into somthing. I am a full time college kid who puts in 30+ a week and I don't have the luxury making a mistake.

He replied and said that he forgot it was there, as he hadn;t ridden it in a while. I'm not sure if I take his word for it but he has made an effort to make it right.

Anyways thanks for all of the input the situation is resolved and he'll be sending a little money back my way to help pay for the new hardware.

As far as the dent, well, it sucks but there isn't much I can really do short of sending back the frame which would sap even more money out of my pocket and cause more hassle.

Anyways, :clue: I think i'm satisfied? I guess? Still feels like I got my arse kicked in a fight but won...................Kind of SUBLIME

Peace,
John

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
Not to defend the seller here if he was wrong, but UPS, Fedex and Canada / Royal / US postal have all managed to screw up some frames pretty badly. One good drop or bang and a frame can be dented.

Was it insured in shipping? You may want to look into that.
Definately. I ALWAYS insure stuff. I one time shipped a new, never ridden frame and it arrived with a big dent in the headtube so you couldn't get a headset in. Luckily it was insured.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Just so you know. $400 is pretty cheap for a 2 year old DH frame. I'm not surprised that it is damaged in some way.

While it sucks and the guy should have inspected the frame a bit more thoroughly it sounds like he is taking care of the situation. As it stands I'd say you got a pretty good deal on a used frame. How big is the dent? Because those bikes are burly and I would imagine that it still has plenty of life in it.

You handled it well though, so good work and good luck.

The Ito

P.S. 90+ hours=$400? You have to find a better restaurant or a different job man, that is absolutely sh*t pay. Less than $5/hour is not worth it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I went though something similar to this when I bought my DH frame. No dents or anything but the rear hanger was bent, the main pivot bearings were toast, and the shock needed a rebuild (well new eyelet bushings) but just did the whole thing. The person I bought it from was really like "Oh well". I couldn't believe someone would be like that. It's karma though, it'll come back someplace or another.

Any DH frame for $400 if it didn't have something wrong with it I'd wonder why it was priced so low. But dents are sorta obvious, especially when you strip the bike down they are sorta hard to miss. Now the shock thing and stuff that might be different but still I imagine people can tell when a bushing is bad or the shock is retarded. It doesn't take a brain scientist to determine this.

Hope everything works out though in the end, I know the feeling of just wanting things right :)