Quantcast

Cavendish & Goss ready for Sanremo on Specialized + McLaren Venge

Oct 20, 2009
<p>HTC-Highroad's leaders, Mark Cavendish and Matt Goss, are ready to take on Milano-Sanremo tomorrow. They have an extra motivation to confront the 300-kilometre race, a new toy – the two will race on Specialized + McLaren Venge frame for the first time.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's good," said Cavendish. "It'll be my first time to race on it. We have trained on it – it's good, fast and exciting. Let's see how it goes in Sanremo!</p><p>
</p><p>
"Specialized is the team's bike sponsor, so, it's got to be fast! But, honestly, it's a really good bike! I am excited about using it and it looks good as well. A McLaren if I win? Yeah!"</p><p>
</p><p>
Cavendish won Milano-Sanremo two years ago, in 2009. It's the sprinters' biggest appointment of the year, but their hardest as well. Besides the 300 kilometres, they have to contend with the finishing climbs along the Italian Riviera before reaching Sanremo.</p><p>
</p><p>
Cavendish and Goss will rely on help from six team-mates to make it to and over the climbs: Peter Velits, Bernhard Eisel, Michael Albasini, Lars Bak, Mark Renshaw and Bert Grabsch. HTC will have two winning cards to play if both Cavendish and Goss survive the final climb with the leaders, the Poggio with 6.2 kilometres to race.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am confident that if we get to the finish, between me and Mark, we can do something good," said Goss. "We have a good team to make it happen, to support us."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I spoke with Gossy today," added Cavendish. "I can get over the last climbs in Sanremo and so can Goss, it's a big hand to play. However, if I can't get over it, he can win it.</p><p>
</p><p>
"We have the guys to do the work all day. We are all after the same goal and alert to each other, that gives you a lot of confidence."</p><p>
</p><p>
"The team," continued Goss, "has the bases covered."</p><p>
</p><p>
HTC's sports director, Rolf Aldag confirmed that if the two arrived to the finish together that Goss would work for Cavendish. Besides Milano-Sanremo in 2009, Cavendish has won five stages at the Giro d'Italia, three at the Vuelta a España and 15 at the Tour de France.</p><p>
</p><p>
"If Mark's there, for sure, I am going to help him," Goss confirmed. "He has already won and has that experience. We want the team to win, if that's me leading Mark out, then that's what we are here to do.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Do I dream of winning? Of course, if I am the only [HTC rider] one there, I want to cross the line with my hands in the air. If it's not this year, then I have the next 10 years."</p>

More...