Quantcast

Cavendish polishes off HTC's work for sixth Giro stage win

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Brit Mark Cavendish sprinted ahead of his rivals to win the 10th stage of the Giro d'Italia today in Teramo. His HTC-Highroad team-mates rode early in the day and in the final kilometres with Alex Rasmussen and Mark Renshaw.</p><p>
</p><p>
Rasmussen pulled with three kilometres remaining and Renshaw in the final kilometre. Their work contributed to Cavendish's first win in this Giro d'Italia and his sixth since his debut in 2008. Behind, Spaniard Francisco Ventoso (Movistar) took second ahead of Italian Alessandro Petacchi (Lampre-ISD).</p><p>
</p><p>
"For me, we won a proper sprint, it was a bunch sprint, a straight line," Cavendish explained. "It was a big target for me. The team road incredible all day."</p><p>
</p><p>
Cavendish and Renshaw played a tactical game with their Lampre rival, Petacchi. They reached the front too early, so, instead of continuing to lead, Renshaw signalled to Cavendish to get on Petacchi's wheel and went to the front to pull.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I let the wheel of Renshaw go, which meant [Petacchi's lead man, Danilo] Hondo had to take his wheel and I took Petacchi's wheel. I knew I was in best position. Petacchi went with 250m to go, I went with 150m to go, and I was able to win."</p><p>
</p><p>
Renshaw and the other HTC riders found Cavendish and congratulated him for finishing off the team work. The Giro has been a success with today's win, HTC's win in the opening time trial and a day each in the pink jersey for Marco Pinotti and Cavendish.</p><p>
</p><p>
"We are here to try to win a stage with him," said sports director, Valerio Piva. "We only had two stages left: today and Ravenna. Now, the pressure is off, he's got one. We're happy and he's also happy"</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's massive, you could see my disappointment when I didn't win in Parma," added Cavendish.</p><p>
</p><p>
Cavendish finished second on the second leg of day two behind Petacchi. However, he did win the pink jersey and wear it for one day.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's one of my favourite races, one that is close to my heart, where I won in my first Grand Tour [stage win]. After suffering in the last days, and with someone in the GC, we still have a team that will concentrate on the sprint."</p><p>
</p><p>
HTC's Kanstantsin Siutsou sits second overall, 1'19" behind Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard). Team Astana's leader, Roman Kreuziger is seventh overall, at 1'41" back. They all three want ride to win the Giro d'Italia and all ride Specialized bikes.</p>

More...