Quantcast

CCCX#4 this weekend in Salinas!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Looks like its supposed to rain Friday and Saturday in Salinas, which would make for a KILLER race day.

Who will be out there besides me?

No course description up yet. I have a sneaky feeling this might be the long course (7 + minutes). Well see!

BIKES!!!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Race #4 moves to the other side of Toro park, on the opposite side of the Mtn range then races 1-3. The course is a rider favorite and features all aspects of trail riding. The route starts out using some new turns and never before used angles of trails near the start. It then joins to a fast, wide open fire road before dipping into a single track trail that is high speed. The single track trail continues for 2.5 miles with natural drops, tight turns, railing corners and some pedaling sections where power output dictates ones speed. The race route is one of the longest of the CCCX DH Series. Some of the lower portions of the DH trail will be in use on Saturday, so please refrain from practice on the lower portions of the race route until 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
Looks like its the long course. I will be practicing Saturday after 5.

Brian, looks like you will be pumped on the Cannondale.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Charley,

I might have a seat for you on Sunday if you meet at my place in San Jose at 7:00am.

Joshy, I'd need a fork for my MkIII. Something in the 140-150mm range with at least a 7 and 3/4 steer tube and a 20mm thru-axle. :(

But to build up my SX Trail, I'd need a fork, shock (and spring), headset, seatpost, seatpost clamp, and I would need to build the whole thing. Oh, and I would need to re-dish my rear wheel for a 3-5mm offset.

Blah. 9" bike, here I come.

Maybe my experience and mind-set will help me win over the 19 yr. old groms I'll be racing against.

divisadero

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Just how beginner is the beginner category?

(Me: 33-year-old beater, just got back in the mtn biking, rides an IH 6point6, rides Pacifica regularly, desperately needs a fun distraction when the backcountry skiing season winds down.)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Honestly, the entire race series is pretty laid back (compared to what else is out there).

It's a good time. Just who up and enjoy the festivities (albeit the wet, damp, cold festivities).

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice work out there everyone!

Anyone know where to find more photos besides the Nate Phillips ones? I saw a bunch of photographers out there...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
6 mins. thirty something seconds. Obviously it didn't count, but it was still good to have an idea of how I would have done.

I was so tired though. I'm sure I'd have been substantially faster on a true race run where I didn't have to hike to the top a third time, and where I didn't have to run 1.5 miles with my bike in front of me.

Le' sigh. Oh well. The CCCX curse continues.

But this makes me laugh.