Quantcast

CCCX #5: Roll Call

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am going, not sure if I am racing or not yet. =\

I dislocated my shoulder again this last Sunday and its worse than the Sea Otter dislocation I had. Way more pain and harder to get back in. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Monday to see when I am going to need surgery. Pretty bummed right now, especially since I am doing so well overall my first season racing pro.

I am not using my left arm as much as possible this week to let it heal up as much it can. Working on cardio on a gym bike just in case.

If I am not racing, I will be drinking and screaming at everyone to pedal.

Well see how I feel the morning of the race.

Course Profile #5- Speeds will be at a all time high for the CCCX Series as gravity will dictate most of the action for race #5. The course opens up with a drag race sprint start, which leads into some super fast fire road sections. The course then dashes into a new section, freshly cut, that has never been used for a CCCX DH event. This new section dices in between oak trees and slices through Toro Park chaparral. The trail then connects to some portions of switch back trail that will test turning and tire traction. Following the switch backs, there is more steep sections added that have not been used in past events. The trail then pops out to the standard CCCX DH finish straight. The entire trail is extremely fast, and the racing action will be full on.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Cheezus, Josh. I'm really sorry to hear that, man. That sucks.

That injury has been the crap-factor for you for the past year or two.

Well, take it easy. Better to miss a few CCCX races than miss a summer at Northstar.

:)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Well, I'm thinking if i can...

-Finish CCCX
-Get at least 1 day in at Northstar
-Then surgery and recovery for the next few months going into the winter
-Hopefully come back super strong like last year after my last surgery

Unfortunately, I am probably not racing too much next season because of wedding prep stuff. But the next year... =]

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Gotta' do what you gotta' do, man. Wedding stuff takes priority.

I still managed to get out once a week for quick rides, but Jehn and I weren't living together.

Just remember... Jehn and I got married in June of last year, and I still managed 10 days at Northstar last summer, and a Downieville run.

In other words, it can be done.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Last round the starter guy said a few people jumped the gun by up to 2 seconds. So watch out for people doing that, and yell at them, or, I don't know, cut the hamstring at the back of their legs at the bottom. They'll never play golf again.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Coming from guys that ride mostly Cyclo-X and XC, "gravity will disctate most of the action for race #5) can mean a million different things. Haha...

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
The course is virtually the same as rounds 1 and 3. The switchback section is different though, and pretty fun, with a couple new off camber corners that may get blown out by the race, but it should be good. Extremely hot.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Still waiting on results to be posted, but I know both Ben (in Sport) and Brian (in Expert) pulled 2nd places! Nice work guys!

It was hot.

Killer photos as usual from Nate Phillips:

Brian - dude, you totally cannot see the CRAZY scratch on the goggles!:

Ben:

Pretty Mike:

Me:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
BAH! Great pictures, but it would have been impossible for him to get a worse picture of me. Haha... first practice run, hot as the dickens, and I took that turn totally wrong and was just trying to stay up no the bike. :(

Regardly, thanks Nate!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Heh that's how I felt about my first picture. First run down. Scared my shoulder was going to pop out without notice any second.

Doesn't matter though...You and your bike... so pretty. =]

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Pretty does me no good when I consistently rank mid-pack in Sport.

:(

But it makes me feel good. ;)

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the next race with my new AM frame.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ha! That's weird... Now that I think about it, I didn't really notice it going down either.

I'm curious.. what the heck are you and Ben looking at??

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
lol you missed something cool. =]

Brian! Video! Stat! Youtube! GO!

Also I had the meeting with my orthopedic surgeon yesterday after work. He said run with it as long as I can deal with it. Looks like I just need to schedule the date. I am thinking sometime shortly after the last CCCX race in July. Then I am out for the next 3 months for recovery.

Last edited:

grains

Chimp
May 21, 2009
Good going guys, sweet photos! I was there and raced 35-44 Sport, had a good run, almost fell after the little hill at the end, came around that turn and the front end let lose, wow that would have cost me a podium finish. Ended up with a 3:14 and some tenths, got lucky and won by 1 sec. My youngest son took first as well in the 13U, he rides really well. We raced at around 2 and I think Nate was taking a break, he missed us except for my podium pic, I have the Mudcat baseball cap on. Good times, I'll have to introduce myself at the next race.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Time for some RM rider overall stats:

PRO/SEMI PRO
7 Josh Maurer Tomac/Ride SFO Santa Cruz

EXPERT MEN 19-34
2 Brian Damschen 50/50 Racing Monterey
5 Bryan Young 50/50 Racing Livermore

SPORT 19-34
1 Ben Vickery SPR Watsonville
4 Michael Buchanan Zumbi Cycles San Jose

SPORT 35-44
6 John Myers Santa Cruz

JR. 13 & under
7 Casey Meyers Santa Cruz

NO CHAIN - this is getting pretty serious now...
1 Ben Vickery SPR Watsonville - 177pts
2 Josh Maurer Tomac / RideSFO Santa Cruz - 176pts
5 Brian Damschen 50/50/ Racing Monterey - 92pts

Last edited: