Quantcast

CCDB owners help! Loud noise

funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
Hi,

I just got a ccdb and it sound very much compared to my Fox RC4. I found this video on youtube and mine sounds the same. Is this normal for the shock? I guess its the oil passing that makes the sound but this loud?

Cane creek double barrel noise test - YouTube

*EDIT*

This is video of my bike without the spring attached.

http://youtu.be/vf0rqhSZnhs

Settings: Lapierre DH 920 2010

HSC 2,5 turns from (-)
LSC 18 clicks from (+)
HSR 3,5 turns from (-)
LSR 14 clicks from (+)

Spring 350

Thanks!

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Two thoughts:
1. It sounds like my mattress when I am getting down and getting funky.
2. Were you trying to kick start it? Its a bicycle, not a motorcycle.

Other than that, I am of no real help or contribution to this conversation.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that squishing sound doesnt sound too different from the two DB shocks ive had

i wonder if that person ever got his bike to start

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
didn't watch the video...

spring rubbing the shock body?
Mine was doing this. Kind of like a honking noise. Check to see if the spring is rubbing on the black plastic cover over the shock body. When I bought a ti coil mine rubbed bad. It even rubbed with the Cane Creek stock spring. I ended up cutting the black piece off and solved the problem.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
what the hell in **** ppl?!?

dude, you have air in your shock (where it isn't supposed to be). go have it's oil changed and properly bled.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
knowing how ccdb works, no. there shouldn't be any cavitation (and therefore sound) at all, especially not at such low shaft speeds. there must be a bit of air in the damping chamber and this makes it go whoosh.

edit - btw there shouldn't be any whooshing sounds coming from any pressurized shock at low shaft speeds otherwise they weren't properly bled or air managed to blow by some seal (though this is VERY unlikely without total damping loss)

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That is actually not good, there is air in the shock - assuming it's damper noise, I'm sure you wouldn't have posted a thread if it was the spring.

I have had CCDB's come from factory like that, however I have also had quiet ones (of the same year/model) which tells me the noise is not normal and it's just the result of an airy bleed.

If it bothers you, a service will probably sort it out, it's also worth checking the shaft seal/wiper area for leaks which could let air in - if there's any leaking present they should be replaced during service. Probably best sent to CC for this.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
my elka is noisy but i think it's the piston pulling a vacuum, or something else internal...my RC4 is dead silent...my two riding buddies have cane creeks and the springs rub on the shock body which is protected by a plastic sleeve...cane creek says this is ok...i say the cane creek is the most expensive shock on the market and they need to get their sh:t together, cause to be completely honest...at that price, it's not ok...actually, it's not ok at any price

disclaimer: i know this is negligible in terms of the effect on performance, but my point is at that point both spring and body should be built to the correct tolerances

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
You guys know you can take the plastic sleeve protector off right? And for the noise-when you just bounce up and down all you are hearing is low speed due to fact that the piston does not displace the oil (like RC4, vivid etc) and it continuously circulates. Mine does sound like just like the one in the video and so does Motomike's when you just parking lot test it. However the shock performs flawlessly and better in every aspect when compared to every other shock I have tried when ridden.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Suspension Experts Home Page

Cane Creek
As a factory authorized service center, we offer rebuilds and warranty repair for the Double Barrel. Cane Creek has been involved with the bike industry for many years and is notable for their invention of the threadless headset. While they’ve been a player in the bicycle suspension market for years, they made a huge impact with the introduction of the Double Barrel coil shock. The D.B. (a collaboration with Ohlins) was really the first to offer separate tunability for high and low-speed compression and rebound circuits, and it remains as the benchmark for all other rear suspension today.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
why send it to S.E.X. when you can send it right to CC?
Suspension Experts is a 4 left hand turns and 10 minutes from the Cane Creek factory. They are handling the warranty work now and turn around time is hellaciously quick. Cane Creek and S.E.X. are doing it jointly to expedite turn around time on service.

You do like it fast right?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ever get the RoBbob dirtbike started?

I have have been the CCDB since they came out and never experienced that sound. My guess is that you have purchased a counterfeit CCDB.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Flea-There is no way that you can hand cycle your linkage in order to simulate what a hand dyno can do. What you are hearing are just the low speed circuits.

funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
I have contacted both TF Tune and Cane Creek for their opinion on what to do. I have mail Cane creek before in another matter but they havent responded in over 2 week time, anyone have a better mail contact than info@canecreek.com?

Thanks again

funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
Hi All,

The shock landed at TF tune today and they state that the IFP O-ring was faulty. Shock is on its way back to me today, great service! However I haven't heard anything from Malcolm or Cane Creek..

I hope it will work fine now with no more problems, haven't even had time to ride it before I had to send it back.

Thank you all for the support and useful comments, even the not so useful.. :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Let us know if the noise has gone away / become quieter.

It's good you got it serviced instead of convincing yourself that it's normal. :)

Dec 21, 2011
We are sorry to hear that you weren't able to reach us. We reviewed our email history and couldn't find your email. Glad to hear that TF Tuned took care of you and you will soon be back on your DB! Please do resend us your original email so that we can check our records. Should you need us in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out via email, our website, Facebook page, or by calling +1 800.234.2725.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Since Suspension Experts was mentioned in this thread with the Double Barrel, I just wanted to give them props.
They sponsored the Paris Mtn. DH race, and I won a generous gift card from them. I had a 2.0 stroke Double barrel from a trail bike that I did not even own anymore. Suspension Experts changed the eye to eye on it to a 3.0 and basically built me a new DB with all new parts for a very fair price. It rides incredible as well. Great guys. Hit em up if you need anything.

AndySTi

Chimp
Apr 3, 2010
Siberia
Hi All,

The shock landed at TF tune today and they state that the IFP O-ring was faulty. Shock is on its way back to me today, great service! However I haven't heard anything from Malcolm or Cane Creek..

I hope it will work fine now with no more problems, haven't even had time to ride it before I had to send it back.

Thank you all for the support and useful comments, even the not so useful.. :thumb:
Bit of a dig here, sorry. I just got my CCDB serviced and I'm getting a similar noise. It's quite noticeable, even with my helmet on. I just wanted to know whether replacing the IFP o-ring solved this problem?

Edit: Shock was almost inaudible prior to service.

Last edited:

funkyflea

Chimp
Oct 1, 2007
The shock does not sound as much as prior to the rebuild by TF tune, still there is a noticeable sound. Tested a demo with a CCDB, same sound there. The shock performs without any problem.

Best of luck with your shock.