Quantcast

Ccdb

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
For those who have bought a Cane Creek Double Barrel aftermarket, who did you purchase it from (direct or a distributor,) and how much did you pay? I'm thinking about retiring my DHX and trying one.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
For those who have bought a Cane Creek Double Barrel aftermarket, who did you purchase it from (direct or a distributor,) and how much did you pay? I'm thinking about retiring my DHX and trying one.
I got one from Go-ride for $650. It's easily the best shock I've owned. ...Now I know how the moto guys can case 90ft triples and ride away. It's not possible to get bucked from a hard landing using this shock. ...Well I guess if you really suck :busted:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
DAVE NOOOOOOOO!!!!! You can't do that! not unless I get one too that is!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'd recommend going direct.

Call Malcolm Hadley at 828-684-3551 and order direct. It will give you the chance to get direct feedback on your particular application and to make sure you get the right set of shims to mate to your particular frame.

Tell him Butch sent you. :thumb:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'd recommend going direct.

Call Malcolm Hadley at 828-684-3551 and order direct. It will give you the chance to get direct feedback on your particular application and to make sure you get the right set of shims to mate to your particular frame.

Tell him Butch sent you. :thumb:
Sounds good man. Thanks for the info.
It would be going on a Giant Faith. Roughly 2.8 to 1 leverage ration.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
CCDB is gonna be my next shock as well. In terms of shock bushings, are they sourced from Cane Creek or the frame fabricator?
Cane Creek will supply the reducers. They use the ball-joint reducers up to a certain width and then go to very slick 3-piece alloy reducers for wider mounts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cane Creek will supply the reducers. They use the ball-joint reducers up to a certain width and then go to very slick 3-piece alloy reducers for wider mounts.
Sick. So you just have to tell them what frame you have basically? What if its a one-off frame or low production qty frame? Just the width specs?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Mine came with one full sleeve 3 piece aluminum bushing for the top, but the bottom had the old style two piece aluminum deal... I was a bit dissapointed because this type wears out DU bushings like crazy... Basically I wont run them. I'll have to buy new ones or use the ones already on the frame. What type did the rest of you get?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
For the narrow mounts, CC to my knowledge work fine & typically come with spherical mounting upto ~23mm.

On wider mounts it puts a bigger amount of load on the shock bolt.

That's my guess why your shock (Davep's and Alloys one end of his shock) came with the heim joints. I"m sure if you wanted the three piece they could get them for you if requested.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure that if you order direct from them, and ask for bushings, they will do it. I have spherical bearings in mine and haven't had any problems at all..

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I got one from Go-ride for $650. It's easily the best shock I've owned. ...Now I know how the moto guys can case 90ft triples and ride away. It's not possible to get bucked from a hard landing using this shock. ...Well I guess if you really suck :busted:

Is that $650 w/ ti spring?

how big of a difference is it really over a fox dhx? I've been debating getting a ti spring for my dhx or selling it and getting a ccdb.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Is that $650 w/ ti spring?

how big of a difference is it really over a fox dhx? I've been debating getting a ti spring for my dhx or selling it and getting a ccdb.
No ti spring, the best upgrade I've ever made.

Cane Creek uses the phrase energy absorber to describe dampening... That's the best term I've heard and they are absolutely right. You can jump into some crazy ****, and the shock with just absorb everything leaving you in complete control. My first time out I cased a 25ft step down by about 2ft... When I came back and looked I didn't believe it was my tire mark. I hardly felt the landing, the shock just took it.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
So is the rebound like the 5the shocks that everyone was racing about a few years ago or do compression and rebound differ from both a 5th and dhx 5? Those are the only 2 that I am familiar with.

How much extra is the ti spring?

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
It's far different... Cane Creek has a pretty good explaination on their website.

The idiot's explanation is the Olins design creates much more oil flow than a conventional shock.

The paper work that comes with it also does a really good job of explaining the adjustments.

Oct 14, 2007
No ti spring, the best upgrade I've ever made.

Cane Creek uses the phrase energy absorber to describe dampening... That's the best term I've heard and they are absolutely right. You can jump into some crazy ****, and the shock with just absorb everything leaving you in complete control. My first time out I cased a 25ft step down by about 2ft... When I came back and looked I didn't believe it was my tire mark. I hardly felt the landing, the shock just took it.
well that's what dampening is....energy absorber...now try to convince everyone else

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm running a Ti spring on my DHX. If I get a CCDB hopefully the Ti spring will work on it. I'll have to check if there are any differences in the ID and OD.

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
So is the rebound like the 5the shocks that everyone was racing about a few years ago or do compression and rebound differ from both a 5th and dhx 5? Those are the only 2 that I am familiar with.

How much extra is the ti spring?
cane creek quoted me $850usd for the ti spring version and $650usd for the regular steel spring unit...its worth the price though...too bad it won't work on my sunday...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I'm running a Ti spring on my DHX. If I get a CCDB hopefully the Ti spring will work on it. I'll have to check if there are any differences in the ID and OD.

wont work, sorry.

for ????

go to the CC site and check out the DB page. It is quite different that the 5th or the DHX. The piston has VERY stiff shims (only open in extreme events) so the piston acts for the most part like it is solid.

Rather than the piston pushing through the oil (only oil going to the resevior is the shaft displacement volume), the piston pushes all the oil into/through the res. and through circuitry in the resevior that can control high and low speed fluid movement independently (reboundand compression). The oil is returned behind the main piston after it passes through the resevior.

The big deal is you are able to adjust the preload or opening force on the poppet valves, unlike a typical shock where the shim opening force and shim stiffness are fixxed. This allows adjustment of the high to low speed transfer point.....something that usually only adjustable by a rebuild in a 'normal' shock.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I understand that it has loads of adjustment capability, but I'm wondering if I were to get my DHX PUSH'ed if then it would perform the same... although not have the adjustment range should I decide to change it in the future or for different trails.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Ding ding ding!

Go figure that Ohlins is the winningest damper in motorsports history so you can bet the DB is the jam.

Their 4-way dampers for LeMans cars are around $2k each, so $650 is a steal.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
You're right, but I do believe in this shock and the guys at Cane Creak are pretty cool.
The guys at cane creek are beyond helpful and very cool. They helped me fit and tune a cloud nine shock in to a UAV for my senior project. I can only imagine what would have happened if I had called fox.

Im waiting until next year to buy a new shock but as of now i think the CCDB is it the service and quality seem unmatched.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^^maybe , maybe not. I did some searches, and the consenses is that you need multiple springs to experiment with. There was some riders who hated the recommended spring and went with the slightly heavier one used on their old shock. This is why people are hesitant to invest the $200 on the Ti initially. I'll just be happy if my Ti fits. That doesn't mean I'll use it, but if the recomended spring feels to soft then I will.