Quantcast

CCDBair IL

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anyone with time on this shock? I have a Fox Float X2 which I like but am looking again at short shocking my bike. For the price, nothing comes close to the tuneability. I can spend $60 less and get a Fox Float DPS that might be tuned for my bike (or not). The CCDB should give me similar tunability to the X2 but with less travel.

I had an OG CCDB inline but sold it before it could explode.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What exotic size do you need this time? I have a new DPS in a box, take down from the hightower. And a Vanilla RC if you fancy a lightweight coil shock. And a Monarch+. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, that's an odd size again. :D What is the leverage ratio on the BMC, 4.8?

if I short shock with a 7.875x2, I drop 15mm off the tail end. If I switch to the weird size, I drop like 25 off the front. I did math with @Udi and it came out to like 111-115mm at the end of the day.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Oh I thought the BMC was a 150mm bike. The DPS I have should be a 7.875x2, lemme check. Was tuned for a 135mm travel bike so that may or may not work for you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's the difference between short shocking vs tossing in an extra volume spacer and running a little more pressure? Same shock, less available travel.

Also consider adding some length to the bottom out bumper.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh geez here we go

so my plan was to have a single bike that can do two things. A long shock that rides like it's supposed to with quality damping and good precision. Then take the same bike, which is really exceptionally light, and short shock it to lower the BB and reduce wallowing by dropping 30mm of travel. Drop the fork 20mm so there's less bobbing around and make the same bike more of an aggressive XC/Trail/downcountry bike all while still keeping it balanced.

I just don't want to spend $400 on an experiment that might suck ass.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have first hand experience with one, but as a Cane Creek Lizard, I don't know how far I'm to be trusted.

Short answer: It's pretty rad, and I liked it a lot. Should work decently with that leverage ratio, and I think you'll be pleased as a pumpkin living it's best life that you got one.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have first hand experience with one, but as a Cane Creek Lizard, I don't know how far I'm to be trusted.

Short answer: It's pretty rad, and I liked it a lot. Should work decently with that leverage ratio, and I think you'll be pleased as a pumpkin living it's best life that you got one.
Wait, you work for Cane Creek now?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i know that the deep science sez twin tube jammers aren't as good as a shimmed piston and all that. I'm happy with my Float X2. I'm guessing I'd be happy with the CCDBIL420BLAZEIT, but is there a synopsis of why twin tubes aren't favored over shimstacks? Something about high speed compression not being effective past a certain point or something?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

Think this is where Steve at Vorsprung explains. I’ve always thought the shortcoming was more a matter of the high and low speed circuits not being as independent as advertised.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
You do realize that it has an old style, tiny negative air chamber, right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Think this is where Steve at Vorsprung explains. I’ve always thought the shortcoming was more a matter of the high and low speed circuits not being as independent as advertised.
I always thought there was considerable overlap in adjusters no matter what...@udi used to tell me when I bugged him for tuning tips that i needed to feed in HSC in order to get an effect with my LSC adjuster on the 40fit cart. I'm guessing I'm missing something, but is that true?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

CORPORATE STOOGE

That's actually helpful though. Tell me this, what shock do you run on your personal bike, or would you given the choice? :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Anyone with time on this shock? I have a Fox Float X2 which I like but am looking again at short shocking my bike. For the price, nothing comes close to the tuneability. I can spend $60 less and get a Fox Float DPS that might be tuned for my bike (or not). The CCDB should give me similar tunability to the X2 but with less travel.

I had an OG CCDB inline but sold it before it could explode.
Had one on my Spitfire for a little bit. It had to go back to Cane Creek twice in ~3 months. It was OK when it was working...nothing special.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
CORPORATE STOOGE

That's actually helpful though. Tell me this, what shock do you run on your personal bike, or would you given the choice? :D
I'm on a DB Coil CS on my personal bike now because it's trunnion, and I prefer coils to air springs when the option is there.

The Air IL spring felt pretty similar to me as most other new air shocks I've ridden - really smooth, but slightly less sensitivity than a coil, and it rode a little deeper in it's travel. I like to sit a little higher in the travel than any air shock I've yet ridden has afforded me without running 20% sag.

With that in mind, the spring didn't feel in any way inferior to the other air shocks out there, and if there was a way to separate out the damping I'm fairly confident I wouldn't feel much of a difference at all (if any).

As far as the damping goes, I really liked it - I honestly didn't feel a huge difference between the Air IL and the Coil CS damping adjustments. I haven't had a ton of trouble tuning my DB's since the original one I owned in 2011ish. I'm fairly light, like running my bikes progressive with fairly light damping, and it's a pretty simple matter to crank the high speed rebound to full and find a happy setting with the low speed rebound for me. It's a pretty quick and painless setup for me at this point.

A few things to touch on though - as SuboptimusPrime pointed out, the damping isn't truly independent - adjusting the high speed rebound has an effect on the low speed rebound, and same with the compression. In general, I don't think this is a major hiccup for most people because it's no different than any other shock out there, but occasionally somebody ends up needing a setting that can be pretty hard to find because the adjustments do have an effect on each other.

As djjohnr pointed out, we've definitely had some reliability issues in the past as well - it was before my time here for the most part, but even so I still see aftershocks from it. The original Air Inline was a piece of hot garbage from a reliability perspective, and the Air IL that we replaced it with was a huge improvement but even then there were still some issues. It's gone through quite a few revisions and seems pretty dialed now, but after swearing off Shimano brakes 10 years ago because they almost fuckin killed me, I can respect people being hesitant. I'm sure as hell not going to twist anybodies arm to get a sale. Especially since RM is a personal forum for fun and I'm in no way officially affiliated with Cane Creek on it. Buy what you like, there's lots of good stuff out there right now.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Found my DB Inline perfectly adequate for regular trail riding and did not run into any reliability issues thankfully. It was certainly a heck of a lot better than similarly priced air shocks RS and Fox were putting out back then. It’s also fairly easy to adjust travel on them via a delrin spacer, so you might as well get a used one with longer stroke and send it in to have it serviced and get the stroke adjusted to your preference.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just so we're clear, there's this:
BAD BAD NOT GOOD

And this:
I DUNNO LOL

The "inline" means death by internet forum, the "IL" has a different air spring and different doodads to make it more reliable. I think most people blacklisted CCDBs after they all exploded.

I appreciate the feedback.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm on a DB Coil CS on my personal bike now because it's trunnion, and I prefer coils to air springs when the option is there.

The Air IL spring felt pretty similar to me as most other new air shocks I've ridden - really smooth, but slightly less sensitivity than a coil, and it rode a little deeper in it's travel. I like to sit a little higher in the travel than any air shock I've yet ridden has afforded me without running 20% sag.

With that in mind, the spring didn't feel in any way inferior to the other air shocks out there, and if there was a way to separate out the damping I'm fairly confident I wouldn't feel much of a difference at all (if any).

As far as the damping goes, I really liked it - I honestly didn't feel a huge difference between the Air IL and the Coil CS damping adjustments. I haven't had a ton of trouble tuning my DB's since the original one I owned in 2011ish. I'm fairly light, like running my bikes progressive with fairly light damping, and it's a pretty simple matter to crank the high speed rebound to full and find a happy setting with the low speed rebound for me. It's a pretty quick and painless setup for me at this point.

A few things to touch on though - as SuboptimusPrime pointed out, the damping isn't truly independent - adjusting the high speed rebound has an effect on the low speed rebound, and same with the compression. In general, I don't think this is a major hiccup for most people because it's no different than any other shock out there, but occasionally somebody ends up needing a setting that can be pretty hard to find because the adjustments do have an effect on each other.

As djjohnr pointed out, we've definitely had some reliability issues in the past as well - it was before my time here for the most part, but even so I still see aftershocks from it. The original Air Inline was a piece of hot garbage from a reliability perspective, and the Air IL that we replaced it with was a huge improvement but even then there were still some issues. It's gone through quite a few revisions and seems pretty dialed now, but after swearing off Shimano brakes 10 years ago because they almost fuckin killed me, I can respect people being hesitant. I'm sure as hell not going to twist anybodies arm to get a sale. Especially since RM is a personal forum for fun and I'm in no way officially affiliated with Cane Creek on it. Buy what you like, there's lots of good stuff out there right now.
Well said. It seems that CC made a great hire. Please do me a favor tho and tell Alex he sucks at bikes and his facial hair game is subpar :thumb:

EDIT - I would still suggest staying the fuck away from Shimano "brakes", as at least CC has worked diligently to address the reliable issues with the IL, unlike the Shimano
lizzy.JPG

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
BAD BAD NOT GOOD

And this:
I DUNNO LOL

The "inline" means death by internet forum, the "IL" has a different air spring and different doodads to make it more reliable. I think most people blacklisted CCDBs after they all exploded.

As Suboptimus mentioned above, I've been running one for a quite awhile and mines been annoyingly reliable. I say annoying because I kinda want to try a coil again, but my IL Air has not provided a useful excuse to do so (mine is not a trunnion model fwiw).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
BAD BAD NOT GOOD

And this:
I DUNNO LOL

I had the IL. Was not reliable. May be better now. The air spring was softer off the top than the non-debonair monarch that came with my Spitty, but didn't feel as soft off the top as an X2 or a current debonair Super Deluxe.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I ran the original IL on my 2014 Troy I had. I liked the way it felt on the bike, but was very unreliable like you all have mentioned. I had to send it back twice and then sold the bike after that. I have wanted to try it again, but very hesitant even with the great customer service.

On the other side, the Helm air has been great other than the self adjusting HSC that opens itself up.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What size shock hardware on the BMC?
Could you run offset reducers in both ends of the shock to shorten the e2e?

Probably worth exploring the option if you haven't already, mostly since you've already got a decent shock. Doing both ends on a bike with 6mm hardware nets a reasonable change. Obviously check bottom out clearance too.