Quantcast

CCW Choices: .380 v. .357/9mm

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
After carrying my G19 for several months of 100+ degree weather, I'm looking for opinions on other options. Also, having recently moved to the ghetto (2 separate incidents of non-LEO shots fired in <1.5 weeks) I'm looking for 24/7 comfort...or at least manageable discomfort. I'm certainly after a subcompact, however I seem to have preferences that change on a daily basis as to caliber and overall enjoyment, and price of shooting. Essentially, I'm trying to decide between .380 (very small, very concealable, low round count, limited range) and a larger caliber (9mm-though I feel caliber overlap-while convenient, is redundant, and .357/40 which is slightly more expensive, but just as available from local retailers...all while available in a higher round count and marginally larger package). Choices are:

Sig P238: 1911 battery of arms (big plus). .380 auto; perhaps a bit weak and heavy. Overall size comparable to G26/27/33-at least in terms of thickness.

Ruger LCP: Cheap, small, light-ish. Tell me something negative.

Ruger LC9: Cheap, PITA to field strip with easily lost part, loose trigger.

Kel Tec PF 9: small, possibly more concealable than, but taller and heaver than G26. Also, PITA to get in CA-same goes for Beretta Nano. Pricey ammo.

Beretta Nano- See above.

G27/33: Choice of calibers with conversion barrel (daily carry would be .357). Wide rage of holsters. fun to plink with a long as extended mag grips are included. And it's a glock...no weight or reliability issues.

Kahr CW9/CM9: Not a fan. Small, cheap, and feels every bit of it.

Taurus Slim Series: still a Taurus.

I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited:

Pisgahboy

Chimp
Apr 23, 2011
After carrying my G19 for several months of 100+ degree weather, I'm looking for opinions on other options. Also, having recently moved to the ghetto (2 separate incidents of non-LEO shots fired in <1.5 weeks) I'm looking for 24/7 comfort...or at least manageable discomfort. I'm certainly after a subcompact, however I seem to have preferences that change on a daily basis as to caliber and overall enjoyment, and price of shooting. Essentially, I'm trying to decide between .380 (very small, very concealable, low round count, limited range) and a larger caliber (9mm-though I feel caliber overlap-while convenient, is redundant, and .357/40 which is slightly more expensive, but just as available from local retailers...all while available in a higher round count and marginally larger package). Choices are:

Sig P238: 1911 battery of arms (big plus). .380 auto; perhaps a bit weak and heavy. Overall size comparable to G26/27/33-at least in terms of thickness.

Ruger LCP: Cheap, small, light-ish. Tell me something negative.

Ruger LC9: Cheap, PITA to field strip with easily lost part, loose trigger.

Kel Tec PF 9: small, possibly more concealable than, but taller and heaver than G26. Also, PITA to get in CA-same goes for Beretta Nano. Pricey ammo.

Beretta Nano- See above.

G27/33: Choice of calibers with conversion barrel (daily carry would be .357). Wide rage of holsters. fun to plink with a long as extended mag grips are included. And it's a glock...no weight or reliability issues.

Kahr CW9/CM9: Not a fan. Small, cheap, and feels every bit of it.

Taurus Slim Series: still a Taurus.

I'm open to other suggestions.
I have two Sig P238s. One of them is with me just about all the time. They are a bit heavier than the LCP/Diamond Back/other small polymer .380s. They are a joy to shoot. They are a bit more expensive but I felt it was worth it for me. I've got one with night sights, the other has the laser.

My other carry item would be a G26. I've got the pearce +2 mag extensions on all 4 mags for that one. It's a bit bigger and heavier but there are times when I feel like it's a more appropriate item to have with me.

I had a Taurus slim for a couple of years. I carried it regularly. I never had a single issue with that gun. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

I also had a Diamond Back .380. I had it for two weeks. Not a fan.

Ive shot the lcp plenty. Compared to the 238, it's very snappy and it feels kinda cheap. Reliable, inexpensive and very popular. Lots of folks dig them, I don't.

No experience with the others on your list. I shoot 9mm and .380 very well. My hands aren't the biggest so I really only like the .40/.357 in bigger guns. The recoil is a bit much for me in the smaller guns.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
What's wrong with the G19 to begin with? Just curious.

If you're looking for smaller/more compact - i've read great things about the new SW M&P Shield (in 9mm). Good luck finding one though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Lately I've been carrying my finances MP Shield instead of my full size M&P. My full size never really bothered me all too much with my particular holster but with the Shield it seems like its not even there.
We've put about 1500rounds through it without a single issue and it shoots great...obviously a bit snappier them my full size but it has a better stock trigger.
It was the best feeling gun to me and had one of the nicer build qualities compared to anything close to its price range. The stipple job I did makes getting that initial draw of the gun nice too.
Since it is a single stack 9, I carry it with 7+1 and the 8rd mag I'm my pocket. I also am using a mix of Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense ammo.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
What's wrong with the G19 to begin with? Just curious.
Nothing really, just looking for a new toy and something smaller. I have probably 7500 rounds through it and it just feels a bit slutty and predictable...I have an opening in my arsenal and would like to fill it with something new and shiny.

And GFF...I'm fully aware of this. Thanks to my recent relocation, I put down probably 3 boxes per month; hence my ammo concern.

My current leaning is towards a G33 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

Mattcz

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
Nothing really, just looking for a new toy and something smaller. I have probably 7500 rounds through it and it just feels a bit slutty and predictable...I have an opening in my arsenal and would like to fill it with something new and shiny.

And GFF...I'm fully aware of this. Thanks to my recent relocation, I put down probably 3 boxes per month; hence my ammo concern.

My current leaning is towards a G33 with a 9mm conversion barrel.
The colt mustang is back in production. I have an old one. Great for a tiny little gun.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I carry a M&P 340 in my pocket here in Phoenix when its ass balls hot. Its only 5 rounds, but I figure 5 rounds of Corbon .357 DPX full brass rounds should get me out of a defensive situation. I carry two five round speed strips in my pocket.

Most of the time I'd rather carry my 1911 or my 29 depending on the day, but for hot as **** days I like my little snubbie.