Quantcast

cd-rom buggered

tell me what you think....

Dell celeron laptop with hot swappable cd-rom/floppy.....

A client sends a cdr with data on it. The laptop only sees a few roxio files and none of the data. Other laptops in the office do the same thing. Some laptops and both desktops can read the data files though.

WTF?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MtnBikerChk said:
tell me what you think....

Dell celeron laptop with hot swappable cd-rom/floppy.....

A client sends a cdr with data on it. The laptop only sees a few roxio files and none of the data. Other laptops in the office do the same thing. Some laptops and both desktops can read the data files though.

WTF?

I am going to say it's either a) A bad burn or b) bad CD's or a brand that your laptop just doesn't like.

If you can get one PC to read it maybe you can copy it to a shared network drive and download it from there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran has the two most likely things. It could potentially be a weird format, too, that some of the computers have the software to read and some don't.

Your best bet is to find a computer that will read it, and re-burn the CD yourself. It'll be interesting to see if the computers that read the CD will actually be able to copy the data or open it - I had a CD that was doing a similar thing (my old, slow CD drive wouldn't read it, but the new, fast one would), but even though I could see the files, they were all corrupted and I couldn't do anything with them.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ah yes... the Weird Format may be it too. I didn't even think of that one. Good one BV. I remember when I first bought a burner. I burned some music and tried to play it in an old walkman CD player. It couldn't read any burned CD's. Just too old and not compatible.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
the Weird Format may be it too.
Did you know that's an option now? It's the ISO "Weird Format" standard. When you go to burn a CD you can select, "ISO", "Joilet", or "Old Weird Format".