Quantcast

cell phone and wireless internet?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my parents are retired, driving around the country in an RV thinger...

they have a laptop and would like to know about hooking up their cell phone to it so they can have an internet connection..

anyone know anything about this stuff?

J

JRB

Sprint makes a wireless card. Actually, they may have stopped. Nevermind.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
I'm using both a USB and bluetooth connection to get online, either in my car or on my laptop. I'll have to admit its nifty, but the tmo price of $20/ mo doesn't seem very justified for less than dial up speeds. I'm still tinkering with settings though.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my boss recently got a EVDO card that connects to the spring network. This new network isn't deployed everywhere so it may not be the best option for someone driving acorss the country. he claims he gets close to low end DSL speed.

i can dialup through my cell phone using my cingular account with a BT adapter but it's not much faster than dialup.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
eh, wireless may have been the wrong terminology....

just using a cell to get online is what they are after.. they only use dial up right now anyways so they won't be missing a high speed connection. they only really do email. sometimes instant messenger and rarely surfing for information. my mom asked me what a browser was today... so that gives you some insight into their tech knowledge/ability...:)