Quantcast

Cell phone antenna and repeater?

Meh - answered my own question, I think...

http://www.wpsantennas.com/DA4K_Selecting_Amplifier.html

Do you have an existing cellular signal to boost?

Existing cellular signal of -70 to -90dB (easily complete calls with few dropped calls) at the location of the outside antenna is required to use a repeater. If the cell signal outside is below -90dB and as low as -110dB (difficult to complete calls) a direct connect cell phone amplifier should be used. An amplifier or repeater cannot amplify a cell signal that is not present. A direct connect amplifier is recommended for use in areas where there is extremely low outside cellular signal or to enhance data and Internet connections. In addition, optional directional and higher gain antennas will give increased performance to your amplifier or repeater in low signal areas.

Should I use a direct connect amplifier or repeater? What is the difference?

Both amplifiers and repeaters boost cell phone signals up to 3 watts and will deliver similar benefits. A direct connect amplifier will provide a range of up to 50+ miles from a cell tower and supports a single phone/device. A wireless repeater offers a range of up to 30 miles from a cell tower and can support multiple phones/devices simultaneously.

How does a direct connect cell phone amplifier work?

Your cell phone is physically connected directly to the amplifier by an adapter cable. The amplifier then connects to an outside cell antenna.

How does a wireless cell phone repeater work?

An advantage of a wireless cell phone repeater is that no physical connection is required to your cell phone, however, a stronger outside cell signal (-70 to -90dB) is required and specific installation guidelines for outside and inside antenna must be followed. The outside antenna receives the signal from the cell tower, the signal is amplified by the cell phone repeater unit and repeater to your cell phone through the inside antenna. This technology also allows the user of multiple cell phones simultaneously.