Quantcast

Cell phones suck

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I avoided getting a cell phone for as long as I could. I got one when I realized I was never home (where the phone was) and was paying for a service I didn't use (because I was never home..) so I got a cell phone..

last saturday I fell on my phone and smashed the face plate. the phone still funtions, I just have no display...So i'd like a new one.

but my service provider was bought out by Cingular so I have to change plans. they won't charge me to cancel my old plan though, so that is nice. I went to get a new phone yesterday and the sales guy is pointing to a bunch of phones telling me the features that I could care less about...I say "i just want the cheapest one you have..".
he points to one that is like 50 bucks (not the cheapest they have) and I tell him, "i'm not cool enough for that phone, cheaper...?" I tell him the free one is fine.
now it's on to find a plan. he trys to sell me some million minutes thing. I say, "I only make about 3 phone calls a month...gimme the cheap one."

then it turns out I can't even get a phone because my name isn't actually on the account, only my wifes name is. ahahahaha, fvckin nice. :monkey:

cell phones seem like a scam to me. too many damm dumb options for plans and crap. :mumble:

/rant

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pnj said:
<snip>cell phones seem like a scam to me. too many damm dumb options for plans and crap. :mumble:
/rant
Dude - get yourself a used phone from one of your buds ($10) and get on a prepaid wireless plan. We pay $10 every 3 months for the prepaid minutes (it doesn't get you many minutes, but sounds like you don't need many).

-S.S.-

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I have a never used Nokia cell phone that is setup for Prepaid, with all the stuff that came with it. Someone sold it to me for cheap a few years ago but I never got around to getting it setup. You can have it for cheap if you want.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
dh girlie said:
she needs to live in the now...
She's 60. She can live in the whatever she wants. Here's her take on it:

It works fine, why should I bother with something else when this one works?

why you bein such a dick to me today...that's the second time you've called me a beotch today.
I was making a funny based on that smiley that someone posted in that other thread. Sorry Miss Hypersensitive. :D

-S.S.-

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Your mom is going to be without service soon. Cell phone companies are slowly turning off all the networks except GMS and digital will be the backup.

I think Cingular is going to be the palyer to deal with in the future as soon as they get the AT&T towers all converted to GMS tech.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Hawkeye said:
Your mom is going to be without service soon. Cell phone companies are slowly turning off all the networks except GMS and digital will be the backup.
"Soon" is such a relative term. Is that kind of like those of us with rabbit ears on their TVs are going to be without TV "soon" because everyone is going to be transmitting digitally and we won't be able to get the signal? I heard those rumors years ago too........ :p

-S.S.-

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Hawkeye said:

I think Cingular is going to be the palyer to deal with in the future as soon as they get the AT&T towers all converted to GMS tech.
GSM :oink:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Hawkeye said:

Don't you mean GSM? Are you in the wireless business?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
llkoolkeg said:
Don't you mean GSM? Are you in the wireless business?

Yeah GSM whatever it's called. The thing that sucks now but is supposed to be awesome later.

No I'm not in the biz. I would never be in that biz, I hate people driving and talking, eating and talking, walking and talking.

And have you ever noticed that they are always yelling.

SORRY I DROPPED YOU FOR A SECOND!!

Ugh.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SkaredShtles said:

I'm throwing a flag on that BS. NO ONE uses those! A buddy of mine had an older phone (newer than a bag or brick phone) and his provider gave him a new phone since they had updated their technology

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
thanks for the phone offers but if I have to have one, I'd like a somewhat smaller one.

I broke the one I have currently because it didn't fit in my front pocket too well. so I had it in my back pocket and did the ol' 'manual-off-stairs-to-ass-lander'. actually, I landed on my rear tire, on my taint, and smashed my nuts on the tire. well, it was more like a slap on the tire. I have no idea how I hit my phone....

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pnj said:
thanks for the phone offers but if I have to have one, I'd like a somewhat smaller one.

I broke the one I have currently because it didn't fit in my front pocket too well. so I had it in my back pocket and did the ol' 'manual-off-stairs-to-ass-lander'. actually, I landed on my rear tire, on my taint, and smashed my nuts on the tire. well, it was more like a slap on the tire. I have no idea how I hit my phone....

hahahaha!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Echo said:
Man I would never manual when I have my cell phone in my pocket. Of course I can't manual :D
I don't usually fall on my ass...

I fall everytime I ride my bike, just not usually on my ass.:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
stinkyboy said:
SkaredShtles said:

I'm throwing a flag on that BS. NO ONE uses those! A buddy of mine had an older phone (newer than a bag or brick phone) and his provider gave him a new phone since they had updated their technology
You can call BS all you want, but my mom still has a mobile phone in a bag like the picture. <shrug> Believe what you want....... :rolleyes:

-S.S.-