Quantcast

Cell Phones

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
Alright so here's my problem. I go through phones fast I somehow always manage to break them in some way, I've gone through 3 phones in the past year. Last month I got a Razor V3 for free (my friend had two free upgrades) Excited to finally have a phone where I could read the full screan, silence worked, and had more than 3 hours of battery life, I treated it like a baby I had a plastic case around itself and put it inside a cushioned case which I clipped onto my pocket....Yesterday I opened it up to find the screan broken:angry: Yes I know the razor's screans are known for breaking and yes I do ride with my phone in my pocket, looks like Verizon is giving me a discount on any phone can anybody suggest a strong, reliable...and of course a camera (not a video) phone? It's got to be for verizon though. My insurance was already dropped for the cell so this ones gotta last. Thanks

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Check and see if they have any jobsite specific phones. They're not flashy or classy, but they're tough. I don't know if Verizon has them, but I know NexTel has some that are made specifically for construction and delivery workers who need a tougher phone. I ride with a phone, too. I wrap it up in a packable rain jacket that I keep in my water pack. Good luck.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get an LG. Mine has been washed and dropped so many times it's crazy. I beat the crap out of mine and it works great. There aren't any gay features like texting or cameras which is good. It's just burly. And free w/ a plan.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
w00dy said:
I second the LG. I have the low end flip phone. It came back to life after swimming with it. I thought for sure it was cooked.
Sounds exactly like what I've got.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stgil888 said:
Check and see if they have any jobsite specific phones. They're not flashy or classy, but they're tough. I don't know if Verizon has them, but I know NexTel has some that are made specifically for construction and delivery workers who need a tougher phone.
The Nextels I used to use doing stage work could survive drop from the lighting grids and scissor lifts. Tough as Courtney Love's vagina.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Bicyclist said:
Get an LG. Mine has been washed and dropped so many times it's crazy. I beat the crap out of mine and it works great. There aren't any gay features like texting or cameras which is good. It's just burly. And free w/ a plan.
word on that one. i have the cheapass LG VX3200 that came free or damn cheap (i dont remember) with my plan. that sucker has been spiked on concrete dropped out of a second story window onto wet grass, had beer spilled on it, anything you can think of, and its still kicking, or at least walking.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I washed/dried my Samsung recently. It now has no battery life (dies within 8 hours of full charge), and I can't change any settings. My ringtone is stuck on "My Humps". :(

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
go with anLG. i was a cell tech for 2 years and worked on/repaired cell phones for a living as a certified nokia/moto/lg technician. we saw more moto's than anything else on about a 4:1 ratio. they sell phones solely based on their name these days and not based on quality at all.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
blue said:
I washed/dried my Samsung recently. It now has no battery life (dies within 8 hours of full charge), and I can't change any settings. My ringtone is stuck on "My Humps". :(
you got a case of liquid damage. most cell phones have 3-6 liquid damage indicators inside the phone. if any of them bleed or turn red AT ALL the manufacturer will void the warrabty. sometimes they come back to life sometimes they dont.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, I've had friends get phones wet and the indicator jizzes all over the inside, so I wasn't planning on warrantying it.

Any suggestions on finding a phone like this

(what my current phone is similar to)

for cheap? I just call and occasionally text message...nothing fancy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
biggins said:
go with anLG. i was a cell tech for 2 years and worked on/repaired cell phones for a living as a certified nokia/moto/lg technician. we saw more moto's than anything else on about a 4:1 ratio. they sell phones solely based on their name these days and not based on quality at all.

What about the Sony/Ericsson ones? I'm looking at the walkman phone thing...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the problem with getting a phone off e-bay is that 99.999999 percent of the time the phone will not work on the network you are trying to use it on. cdma, tdma, digital, pcs blah blah blah. in addition every carrier has there own operating softwares and PRL softwares. We used to have people come in all the time with phones from e-bay and want to use em and we would have to tell them no.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
blue said:
Verizon phones won't work with T-Mobile service.

Is Verizon still ghetto and not using SIM cards?
who cares about a dumbass sim card the biggest marketing ploy ever and no a the phones will not interchange.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
H8R said:
What about the Sony/Ericsson ones? I'm looking at the walkman phone thing...
we carried 2 different sony ericssons and they were both crap. almost every last one we sold came back with software issues. they were however very tough phones. their reception was fair to middling on our drive tests.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Buy a samsung entry level phone. I have one. I have fallen down a flight of stairs and landed on it multiple times and I'm no lightweight. It has also been through the wash, in a swimming pool, and chucked at the ground as hard as I can possibly throw it. The phone still works.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
bballe336 said:
Buy a samsung entry level phone. I have one. I have fallen down a flight of stairs and landed on it multiple times and I'm no lightweight. It has also been through the wash, in a swimming pool, and chucked at the ground as hard as I can possibly throw it. The phone still works.

Yepper. What I got. Pretty much indestructable so far. If you don't turn it on before it is fully dry is the deal (usually overnight).....