Quantcast

Center of wheel axle to derailleur mount - A standard measurement?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Hi there, posted this in tech with no answer and seeing as a lot of guys here in the DH section have built or look into building their own frames i think this may get more help here.

As in the title, would anybody care to know the measurement from center of the wheel axle to center of the mount for the derailleur - is there an international dimension for this or just a general consensus on this measurement?

If anyone could point me into the direction of more information that would be a big help - there is a PDF from hayes for such info regarding disc brake mounting, is there for this - i have searched but found nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Rick

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think there's an international standard for this, by common sense most manufacturers seem to get it right though. If you have a bike you have no shifting problems with (ie. most) then I think it'd be safe to use that measurement.

Bikes that fail in this regard are ones like the Yeti DH9, and perhaps many other lawwill suspension designs that position the derailleur mount too far from the axle, mostly due to the nature of the design.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Those were my thoughts - a small deviation will make a minimal distance anyway.

As you say common sense dictates the position- if anybody has a specified measurement from shimano or anything similar just let me know as it will still help to confirm / make life easier.

Cheers, Rick

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There is definitely a guideline from Shimano that pertains to positioning of the derraileur hanger with respect to the rear axle. Where one would find such a thing I have no idea.