Quantcast

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
...on Monday.

100 miles, ~7k climbing. Yay. Weather will probably not cooperate either. Whoopee...

I haven't been riding as much as last year prior to my first century (I was doing 35 miles a day (commuting) with some 60-85 mile rides on the weekend). Now I'm lucky if I get 20 miles (pulling a trailer with my 2 year old in it...feels like a 40 mile ride...) 4 times a week with maybe a 35 mile solo ride on every other weekend.

Also doing this particular ride unsupported (it's an organized ride...I'm just poor...and cheap.) ....so it should be a great way to kill myself.

Ride report to follow if I'm not dead.

FYI: Century #2 is 12 days after #1...oh boy...This is all in the name of doing a 204 mile ride in under 12 hours in mid-July, btw.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The tags are hilarious.

Right on!
I'm hoping to get in an unsupported century in the next week or so. Hard with the gear I have on my singlespeed, but not impossible I think.

Look forward to the ride report!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
One century I could do but a double that in 12 hours that a damn long way in only 12 hours. Where are you doing the century?
Up here in the PNW. It was a ride a bit to the east of Seattle.

Yeah. The double-century is the STP (Seattle-to-Portland) ride (straight shot south on I-5 is about 180 but the route takes country roads and junk to put it at about 204 or so). Last year my bro-in-law and I did it in 14 hours on the dot. He found out later that he had pneumonia during the ride. He bonked at about 160 miles. This year he's healthy...but neither of us have been logging the miles like we did last year.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
So here's the report.

I puss'd out. I was going to do get up at like 6:30am, ride to the start line (about 7 miles from my house) and then do the century loop and ride home.

I woke up to pouring down rain (I do not have fenders...just rain gear). I went back to bed. I rolled out at about 9:15am from my house. There was a hill about 10 miles into the actual ride route that made me want to go home. But I persevered.

I kept on pedaling though...Then I thought that my legs were going to explode on the 5th hill. But thankfully it was a short 18%'r.

I got to the break off for the century at about noon. I was cold, dirty, and wet. I puss'd out and took the "metric" century route instead. Probably a good idea in retrospect because my legs were pretty much shot coming up the last hill to my house (it's not a big hill either...).

All tolled: 4:30 in the saddle, 70 miles, 5k climbing

Drinking beer now.

Tonight will probably involve some bike maintenance and some carbs and water for me.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Weather was awesome. 120 miles, ~8 hours total time, a bit over 4k climbing.

Buddy of mine couldn't/didn't want to hang with my usual pace so he dropped off after 30 miles. Wanted to get on a pace line that was cooking at 20+mph but couldn't get a solid group to stay together...

Then I ran into a group that I knew and just rode with them the rest of the way. Humor ensued and hilarity was had.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice!

I did my first century of the year last month, 12K+ climbing. I was ecstatic to have finished under 6 hours in a solo effort. My previous fast time for the route was 6:12. I credit the better time not on fitness but to the fact that riding solo I was able to properly meter my effort instead of completely blowing my wad on the first few climbs trying to hang with the fast group.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Nice!

I did my first century of the year last month, 12K+ climbing. I was ecstatic to have finished under 6 hours in a solo effort. My previous fast time for the route was 6:12. I credit the better time not on fitness but to the fact that riding solo I was able to properly meter my effort instead of completely blowing my wad on the first few climbs trying to hang with the fast group.
Oh. Dear. God.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice - I rode yesterday and will try to ride Wednesday and should be ready for my 145 miles next Saturday. Got new wheels this weekend, a computer and tires. Just need to pick up some socks and some supplies.