Quantcast

Ceramic bearings for suspension pivots?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone here ever tried putting ceramic bearings in for their suspension pivots? I know theyre harder faster less corosion...blah blah blah, but are they very impact resistant? I've heard of them used on xc bikes but not dh or fr.
________
Personal Vaporizor

Last edited:

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
I wouldnt, they arent very impact resistant and there's no point really, they are for high speed or high temperature applications and are hideously expensive!

You could replace a lot of normal bearings for the price of one set of ceramics.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I would agree, I can't see any reason to put them in a DH bike. Ceramics aren't as impact resistant as steel, and there are no real advantages.

Percy, I've got nothing against you, but I want to punch you avatar.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Percy said:
I wouldnt, they arent very impact resistant and there's no point really, they are for high speed or high temperature applications and are hideously expensive!

You could replace a lot of normal bearings for the price of one set of ceramics.

What ! I have been using ceramic bearings for a few years now and if anything they are both lighter and stronger. The ceramic balls are harder than steel ballls and don't deform over time which is a common occurance with steel balled bearings.
With regards to impact resistance they are the similar, and by the way all ball bearing types are really designed for high speed applications and not really ideal for suspension pivots in mountain bikes but they are cheap and come in many sizes etc so that bike manufaturers have adapted to using them. Ideally a well designed bushing or a spherical bearing would be better in that application.

The only problem with ceramic bearings is that they are not easy to find in anything other than skate board type sizes Ex 608RS etc. and they are more expensive especially in larger sizes.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm going to say that there really isn't much of a need for them for DH as well. Not all ceramic bearings have the impact resistance of standard steal bearing. Silicon Nitride would work, but you aren't really going to gain anything over steal IMHO except added corrosion resistance, but you still are going to get the same grit that makes it's way into steal bearings.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The pivot bearing failures I see usually have nothing to do with the balls themselves, it's the races and cartridges that don't handle things well. Not sure how ceramics would really help much, 'cept I guess they are lighter. I could see ceramics in wheels but the cost will need to come way down before it makes any sense to me.