Quantcast

Chaffing? Help =(

So Im not sure if this topic has been brought up yet, Im sure it has over the years.

Ive been out riding and I notice that I have the worst chaffing and rash forming in the you know where area. I tried with and without bike shorts, nothing worked. I think my next move is to switch seats. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions? It hurts :nopity:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Hmmm...Well, a new seat might be in order. Are you riding a women’s specific saddle and have you had any issues prior to this with this saddle or perhaps some different shorts. I have noticed that baggies with liners (sometimes) rub more than just lycra. Also, if it becomes uncomfortable, perhaps try some butt-butter/chamois butter? I use that when I am 24 hour racing and haven't had troubles with chaffing. Also, keep in mind that it's early in the season so things may be a little tender if you haven't been in the saddle for a little while. It sounds awful, but with enough saddle time, you'll get less sensitive and the area will callus (sort of). Either way, good luck...not being comfortable certainly takes some of the fun out of a ride that's for sure!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
It could be one thing, or it could be a combination of things.

-Saddle, get one that fits the width of your sit bones
-Shorts, some chamois just don't work with certain people
-How your sitting on the saddle, be sure your weight is on your sit bones and your not resting foward on more sensitive areas, get your hips under you.
-Make sure your standing up enough over rough terrain
-And if you've tried all these things, some people just have sensitive skin and use some type of chamois butter all the time.

Try to eliminate factors one at a time. Work on your form and sitting properly. And find a seat that really fits. Most shops have a way to determine sit bone width, usually a gel pad you sit and then you can measure the width. Specialized is good with offering different width seats. And make sure your shorts are working for you, no seams, and have a good quality chamois, which usually means expensive. Same idea as a helmet: If you have a $50 head get a $50 helmet.

Hope some of this helps.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have to deal with chaffing everytime I ride. This stuff works great!

Or you could use Gold Bond Medicated Powder. They seem to work the same, but the monkeybutt seemed appropriate for a ridemonkey forum :biggrin:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I just did a 5hr race - I used some stuff called Body Glide It's the best stuff in the world - just roll it on the problem areas and don't worry about it again. After 5 hours of riding my ass felt great - most bike shops should have this stuff on hand

Edit - I don't think your seat has anything to do with it - I would at least try this 6$ investment first.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've had similar problems and actually having switched to full sus. helped me the most. But, that's not always an option. First, check out the saddle and make sure the cutout hits you where you need it to. Also be sure you don't have your saddle nose tipped up at all. Use a level if you have to, but keep it as flat as possible. I like the Specialized Dolce and the Terry butterfly saddle the most. When you have a good saddle, check your bike fit and make sure you're consistently sitting down on your sit bones and not in front.

Make sure your chamois isn't too big and is bunching or sliding around as you ride and sweat. Really feel the padding on them. Some can flatten like a pancake after the first wash and are then worthless IMO. A good pair of shorts is one of the best investments you'll make.

I've tried some creams and had good results. Even diaper rash cream works in a pinch. And, never bike in underwear! Ouch!

Good luck!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I definitely concur with making sure your saddle is level, but I don't know about the FS. I went out this spring and the first ride of the year was on Porcupine, on my AS-X. 7" of plush travel, but my back hurt from a recent car accident and I sat more than I should have. My butt felt like that baboon's butt looks.

Sunday, I went and rode Sovreign on my rigid SS. I didn't even wear padded shorts. No pain whatsoever because I stood up more and absorbed the rough terrain with my body's suspension (arms and legs), and didn't just let the bike do it.

Learning to get your butt up off the saddle will get you a lot farther than suspension will as far as that goes. Granted, a good FS is valuable in many other ways, but it's a lot cheaper and more effective to save your butt by not sitting so much.

Anyway - a good saddle is key. I'm loving my Fizik Aliante lately. And good shorts are also key (and no underwear - there's a woman in my spin class who obviously wears underwear under her riding shorts and it makes me cringe to see it - ouch). And Chamois Butt'r or Body Glide or whatever are worth trying too.

All your suggestions are awesome. I am riding a Trek liquid 65 which may be a size too big but Im ok with it. My seat would definatly be an option for change, I wouldnt mind trying these creams, and I have a couple of good shorts. I am however TERRIFIED to not wear underwear with my shorts. I feel like the more cloth there, the more protection but apparently that isnt the case. ekk...next ride I will have to try this no underwear thing.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
uh, yeah... no panties. More layers means more stuff to bunch, chafe and rub. Plus they hold excess moisture which will also promote chafing and rawness. A good chamois has wicking properties designed specifically to help with girly comfort. Try it, it will make you a "real" mountain biker chick.:clapping: Not to mean you aren't of course, it's just one of those things....

Altagirl, that's so funny, I do the same thing, just cringe when I see a panty line under bike shorts. I once went on a ride with a gal who had an obvious thong line under her shorts. All I could think of was "owowowow"

gg

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I am however TERRIFIED to not wear underwear with my shorts.
I would send what others have said here and guess this may be part of the problem. If you wear underwear, it's actually preventing the chamois from doing its job (especially if they are cotton!!). As odd as it will seem the first time, it's worth it to go commando!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would send what others have said here and guess this may be part of the problem. If you wear underwear, it's actually preventing the chamois from doing its job (especially if they are cotton!!). As odd as it will seem the first time, it's worth it to go commando!
Yupper! Commando is DEFINITELY the way to go when it comes to biking atleast :thumb:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
All your suggestions are awesome. I am riding a Trek liquid 65 which may be a size too big but Im ok with it. My seat would definatly be an option for change, I wouldnt mind trying these creams, and I have a couple of good shorts. I am however TERRIFIED to not wear underwear with my shorts. I feel like the more cloth there, the more protection but apparently that isnt the case. ekk...next ride I will have to try this no underwear thing.
I would say ditching the underwear will be a HUGE improvement. Don't even worry about the rest of the ideas here unless you've got your saddle at a funky angle or something, just try your riding shorts they way they were meant to be worn and see if that doesn't solve it for you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Think of your shorts like underwear. My cousin returned a pair of new cycling shorts to REI, and after she got her money back, customer service cut the shorts in half.

Apparently they consider bike shorts underwear, and for good reason...