Quantcast

Chai Gelato

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I'll have to get the recipe from OMGF...

He made some AWESOME Chai Gelato yesterday.

Anyone else have an ice cream maker?
Made any tasty stuff?
Got any recipes you would like to share?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Nothing to do with ice cream or anything cold (although creme brulee should be chilled) but this is the only thing with Chai i've ever attempted...

Chai Crème Brulee Recipe
Yield: 6 servings (that’s what the recipe says, although I had WAY more custard left over)

1 cup loose Chai tea leaves (I used Republic of Tea, but any brand you like is good)
4 cup fresh water
12 extra large egg yolks, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups heavy cream
1 cup turbinado (raw) sugar

1. Steep 1 cup Chai tea leaves in 4 cups boiling water for 7 minutes. (Be sure to shake up your Chai tea mixture so the spices and tea leaves are evenly distributed).

2. Strain tea leaves and reduce to 3/4 cup.

3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

4. In a large heat-proof mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.

5. Place the cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Warm just until bubbles form around the edge.

6. Remove from heat and, whisking constantly, pour into the egg and sugar mixture. Add the reduced tea liquid.

7. Continue whisking until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is well combined.

8. Pour the mixture through a very fine sieve (this ensures no lumps, or egglettes) into 6 crème brulee dishes, filling them only half full.

9. Place the dishes into a shallow baking dish large to hold them without crowding. Place the dish on the middle rack oven.

10. Working quickly to preserve the heat, finish filling the dishes with the custard mixture, making sure that it comes right to the top of each dish. Then carefully fill the baking dish with very hot tap water so it comes halfway up the sides of the filled dishes.

11. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the custard is set in the center.

12. Remove the custards to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until ready to use.

13. When ready to serve, generously sprinkle the top of each chilled custard with an equal portion of the turbinado sugar, taking care to cover all of the custard, so that it gives an even finish. Using a kitchen torch, move the torch lightly back and for the over the custards until there is an even golden brown color, and crackling bubbles.

14. Alternately you can place the chilled crème brulee dishes under a preheated broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, or until the tops are crackling brown. You will want to substitute light brown sugar for the turbinado sugar if you use this method however.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I do! I just made this (Isa loved it and thought it rivaled the Nutellatta she had in Italy)!

Chocolate-Hazelnut Gelato
courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish

In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Place a strainer over a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and hazelnut spread until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before pouring into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. To serve, scoop gelato into serving bowls and top with hazelnuts.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
MudGrrl said:
I'll have to get the recipe from OMGF...

He made some AWESOME Chai Gelato yesterday.

Anyone else have an ice cream maker?
Made any tasty stuff?
Got any recipes you would like to share?
If you like chai gelato, you must try the mozambique flavor of frozen custard at the Dairy Godmother in Del Ray. I liken it to chai in ice cream-esque form. They just had it there last weekend so I'm not sure when it'll come around again.