Quantcast

chain breaking

fieldinc

Chimp
May 18, 2003
ok. so i have the chain breaker tool.. and i break the chain.. i did what i needed to do.. so i put the chain back together... but the link that i put back is soooo tight it doesnt flex anymore.... and its a relativitly new chain... am i doing somehting wrong here???

field

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
on the link that you rejoined, put the chain through the breaker in the opposite direction at the same link.
take up the slack between the breaker pin & chain. once its neat , give the chain tool another 1/4 turn to push that pin back out the other way a bit.

That will free up the link.

Dont do it too much else you will get that link out of alignment, take a little time, practice a bit, you'll get it

cheers

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
or there's always the ghetto method I've seen people do:rolleyes: - take some needle-nosed pliers... stick one tip through the link you just tightened, and give the pliers a slight twist... then do the same from the other direction (top/bottom)

silly monkies
:monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is what I do... and everytime I do it I wonder if I am compromising the chain... engh, no harm so far. :)

Originally posted by DHRacer
or there's always the ghetto method I've seen people do:rolleyes: - take some needle-nosed pliers... stick one tip through the link you just tightened, and give the pliers a slight twist... then do the same from the other direction (top/bottom)

silly monkies
:monkey:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
What I do and it works perfect EVERY time, is if you reuse the regular link pin, afer its reinstalled, grab the chain on both sides of where you reconneceted it, put your thumbs on the tight link and push out the pull in, do that a few times and it will loosen right up.

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
After you have pushed the pin back in, put the chain over the teeth of your chaintool closest to the pin. Tighten the tool just slightly. Because the outer plate of the chain is no longer backed up against the tool, it can move away from the inner link slightly, thus freeing the link.:)

Shimano's special pins don't have to be used if you are very careful not to distort the side plates on the chain putting it back together.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I use the chain tool to hold the completed re-link (backing offf the pin driver) and lightly twist the tool to free up movement in the chain. Key word is lightly I broke a $3 Cyclo tool once and now use a park which I don't want to ruin.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I just got a Park CT-3 chain tool and played around with an old shimano chain for practice - much easier to operate than the one on my multi-tool and kinky link if used properly. Now if I could only have all my chain breaks happen while the bikes are on the rack... :D :D :D

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
there are two places in the chain tool to put the chain.
one is to take the chain apart the other will allow you to loosen a tight link.

good luck and ask your LBS.