Quantcast

Chain chain chain

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Ah hello
I'm kinda new to the sport of cross country riding and I want to know how many required chain links I need to run on a typical 46-34-22 chainring - 11-32 cog combo? I'd like to save as much chain links as possible to save weight... Any input? What about the nickle plated links? Are they light?

:devil:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Orven
Ah hello
I'm kinda new to the sport of cross country riding and I want to know how many required chain links I need to run on a typical 46-34-22 chainring - 11-32 cog combo? I'd like to save as much chain links as possible to save weight... Any input? What about the nickle plated links? Are they light?

Bastard!:D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by BMXman

Bastard!:D
dude I swear! I'm running 1.75" tires already on my HT and I think the TDF Limited Edition DuraAce chain is putting way too much weight on my bike....

I'm preparing for the BrianHead Epic this weekend so I need to put the bike on diet.. I also got rid of the traditional grips on my handlebar to save more weight.
Chainstay length is 16" if that helps any..

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Oh Orven. Good god man. Everyone knows that the SRAM PC-89 chain is much lighter than the Dura-Ace. ;)

You gonna be around this weekend? A bunch of us from that other board are riding Tunnel in Santa Barbara on Saturday. Let me know if you want in.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Anyone know how I can keep the paint to stay on on my chain? I like to sray paint it with clearcoat so it looks shiny and new..

Wow, me too buddy. I found that if i bead blast the chain, wipe with de-natured alcohol, then handpaint each link, let that dry by hand drying it with a heatgun, you then spray a clear laquer on it and presto, you will be amazed. I thought i was the only one so i am glad there are others too. We should start a club of riders who care as much as we do. You should see how flawless my bike is in public. I hate to toot my own horn its just i am so proud. PM me if you would like to hire my services. PS, i hate to offend anyone but i don't know why this fad of dual suspension bikes is so big? Things tend to come full circle and I'll be there triumphantly welcoming everyone back to the forgotten world of rigid hard tails.
Cheers
:sneaky:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by LOOnatic
Wow, me too buddy. I found that if i bead blast the chain, wipe with de-natured alcohol, then handpaint each link, let that dry by hand drying it with a heatgun, you then spray a clear laquer on it and presto, you will be amazed. I thought i was the only one so i am glad there are others too. We should start a club of riders who care as much as we do. You should see how flawless my bike is in public. I hate to toot my own horn its just i am so proud. PM me if you would like to hire my services. PS, i hate to offend anyone but i don't know why this fad of dual suspension bikes is so big? Things tend to come full circle and I'll be there triumphantly welcoming everyone back to the forgotten world of rigid hard tails.
Cheers
:sneaky:
you're so like late in the game...
do you have titanium teflon-impregnated chain pins on your chain? if not, you're not welcome to my club:devil:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by -BB-

Like a Virgin... touched for the very first time...

Yes you maaaaade me feel...
i just found out the meaning to that song after watching Resevoir Dogs..on the opening scene at the restaurant table, Quentin (Mr Brown??) explained that truely..:D

now back to the techie talk....help out a beginner here dammit

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Orven

you're so like late in the game...
do you have titanium teflon-impregnated chain pins on your chain? if not, you're not welcome to my club:devil:
Ti chain pins.....Oh yeah, now I'm gettin wood.:eek: :D

You guys are so late the game! I didn't want to give away my vast knowledge but here it goes. You ain't squat unless you got the "unobtanium chain pins with the titanium nitrate covered rollers". Bet you feel pretty passe' know huh. Please, pay homage , give me my props and move along. Nothing to see here.

:eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by LOOnatic
"unobtanium chain pins with the titanium nitrate covered rollers".
Suntour came out with that already...... it was phased bec who would want to ride Suntour components? Oh yeah, Loo!:nope: :oink:

Billy Bob, we can carpool tomorrow, I'm only going to be at BB on Sat.... Can you ride your bike to I-5 so I don't have to go allthe way to La Jolla?:D :D :devil: