Quantcast

chain cleaning fluid?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
i have the park chain cleaner and ran out of fluid

is there an alternative to that? i'm guessing it's just a household degreaser marked up a lot?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Do you really need it. I use dry lube and whipe off the chain when its dirty. It even works great on my DH bike. My experience is the cleaners remove too much lube from the chain.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
i've been running the chain through the cleaner widget and scrubbing out the cassette, then applying Rock n Roll Absolute Dry Lube. didn't learn this from any guru, so perhaps i'm doing it wrong?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I used to do that. Now I just wipe down the chain. Lube and wipe. Sometimes lube a second time if the chain was really dirty.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I occasionally use the chain gang. I don't think anything works as well. I do use some marine cleaner on the cassette and chain that works well to spray on. I hope it's not eating my frame before I rinse it off. :think:

I hate dry lubes. I like Prolink myself.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I use Simple Green in my Park chain cleaner....when I use it. I have found it cleans my chain a little too well and makes for a noisy chain, even when overlubed.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Heres how I do it.

90% of the time I run Boshield on my chain. Its a wax lube but way thicker and more resilient than most. Doesnt shed as fast as most. Originally designed by boeing for airplane parts.

Anyway, if I end up in the gunk for a ride I'll hose the chain off, let it dry, then lube it up really thick with white lightning. WL sheds really fast. It seems to collect all the grime and shed it all off, after a couple of dry rides my chain will typically be clean as hell. Then I lube back up with boshield.

If I have to ride more than 1 day in nasty conditions I skip the dry lubes and hit the pedros synlube, which wont wash off no matter what hits it. Eventually though it always gets dry again and I hit the WLightning real heavy for a few rides and then go back to Boshield. Chain just seems to last longer w the dry lubes.

Last edited: