Quantcast

chain is too short by 2mm

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
If I take out one link, my chain is too short (by about 2mm) to link together. If I don't take out a link, it has too much slack and my axle reaches the end of the dropout.

Is the only way to fix this by changing my sprocket/freewheel size?

For now I threw on a 15t freewheel, instead of the original 13t, to take up some slack (see pic)

Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Or a frame with horizontal dropouts..... Or a chain tension device....

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
If it's a brand new chain it will easily stretch 2mm. Shorten it, connect it off the chainring, then force it on by pedaling. It can take the stress just fine and it will break in perfectly.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Thanks man, this is the answer I was hoping for, haha. Everything is brand new, so I have to admit that I would hate to force anything into place. Lets see what other answers we get.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
you dont need to get a new chain you can just get a single half link
Single Half-Link, your right, that is what my friend was talking about, I just did a web-search. For some reason I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of it. Seems like it would still be the same length. I'm going to pick one up tonight and try it!

thx Random

Last edited:

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Wow, never seen that before. That is very cool.

I don't think it will get much love on a dj bike. I want to try it though for kicks and to trip my friends out, haha, like "what, what are you talking about, you never seen a freaking bike chain before? Oh that, it's a freaking phantom chain ring dude, get with it!"

thanks for the pic, you caught some attention with that one.

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
Phantom rings are cool until this happens:

Go with eod's suggestion. It won't take long and it'll be a cleaner setup.

Last edited:

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Phantom rings are cool until this happens:

Go with eod's suggestion. It won't take long and it'll be a cleaner setup.
aaawww, brutal! i'm sure you'd have to be a mellow, straight-line rider to use a phantom safely.

the the setup shown tells me the person probably had too much slack to use a phantom ring. It has(or had) multi gears on it and a pretty big chainring - which means he probably had too much chain to work with.

I wouldn't put a phantom ring on my dj anyways (even though I'm not that crazy of a rider), I can't see myself bunny-hopping or doing stairsets with a clear head.

thanks for the pic. i crave cool techniques, but sometimes it's nice to see the trials and errors before trying stuff like that.. I'll try it with my low-rider bike (it was a gift;), if anything it'll just make me skid to a mellow granny stop.

Last edited:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
aaawww, brutal! i'm sure you'd have to be a mellow, straight-line rider to use a phantom safely.

the the setup shown tells me the person probably had too much slack to use a phantom ring. It has(or had) multi gears on it and a pretty big chainring - which means he probably had too much chain to work with.

I wouldn't put a phantom ring on my dj anyways (even though I'm not that crazy of a rider), I can't see myself bunny-hopping or doing stairsets with a clear head.

thanks for the pic. i crave cool techniques, but sometimes it's nice to see the trials and errors before trying stuff like that.. I'll try it with my low-rider bike (it was a gift;), if anything it'll just make me skid to a mellow granny stop.
Here's a pic of the person's original setup:

I had good luck with a KHE half-link chain on my trials bike, it lasted just as long as my normal chain of choice.

Randomshot: The phantom gear does not affect your gearing, it simply acts as a chain tensioner.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
hahahaa, classic pic!

cmc - thanks for the link (no pun intended), those chains look built. i'll try the half-link adapter first since it's cheap and I already cut my new chain. Next up will definitely be the halfer.

thanks everyone for your help.
m.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
You might find this interesting: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217876

Careful forcing a chain on, you can damage a chainring doing that!
Check out my numbers (I attached a pic). My final chainstay length is a bit longer than the minimum chainstay length the bike allows.

Does this mean my chain should technically fit?

Maybe I should link my chain and then force it on the chainring. Maybe its so close that just simply pulling the 2 ends of the chain together isn't precise enough.

Attachments

Last edited:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
If you already have the half-link, you could run that for a short period until the chain stretches out enough to fit. It's probably close enough as-is that you can force it onto the chainring without damaging it.

What kind of front chainring do you have and how old is it? I've had some chainrings get out of round, making the chain looser or tighter depending on the orientation. Did you try rotating the cranks?

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
If you already have the half-link, you could run that for a short period until the chain stretches out enough to fit. It's probably close enough as-is that you can force it onto the chainring without damaging it.

What kind of front chainring do you have and how old is it? I've had some chainrings get out of round, making the chain looser or tighter depending on the orientation. Did you try rotating the cranks?
Yeah, for sure, I plan to do just that: Use the half-link till the chain loosens a bit then take the half link out and be good.

My whole drive train is brand new. The front ring is a Deity Termite 28t and the back is a Odyssey 13t.

By rotating the cranks, do you mean connecting the chain then forcing it on? I haven't (very tempted though!), because I found a half-link at a LBS and figured doing what we both say as far as using the half link for a short while till I get enough 'stretch' on my chain to take it out.

thanks again.

Last edited:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
I had just meant rotating the cranks if the chainring was old, to see if it was out of round.

You could either turn the cranks to force the chain onto the front chainring, or you could turn the wheel to force it onto the freewheel. But since you already have the half-link, you might as well run that for a handful of rides, then take it out.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
I had just meant rotating the cranks if the chainring was old, to see if it was out of round.

You could either turn the cranks to force the chain onto the front chainring, or you could turn the wheel to force it onto the freewheel. But since you already have the half-link, you might as well run that for a handful of rides, then take it out.
Oh, got it, turn the cranks to see if the ring is out of round...

Yeah, got the half-link and all is new and true.
Thanks for the tips and techniques.