Quantcast

Chain length

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Im working on putting my first bike together. Un fortunetly its not mine but a friends. How do i go about measuring the chain length for the bike? What do i need to do to get the bike rolling. Thanks

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by crackmunch
Im working on putting my first bike together. Un fortunetly its not mine but a friends. How do i go about measuring the chain length for the bike? What do i need to do to get the bike rolling. Thanks
Are we talking FS or HT? A good rule of thumb is to wrap the big ring and the biggest cog on the back, then add two links. good luck...the first build is a great learning experience....patience young Jedi, patience!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by VTinCT

Are we talking FS or HT? A good rule of thumb is to wrap the big ring and the biggest cog on the back, then add two links. good luck...the first build is a great learning experience....patience young Jedi, patience!
Ditto this, except don't go through the rear derailleur when doing it.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I do thankyou for your help. Ill be trying this tonight. And if you were wondering heres the specs on the bike.

Titanium hard tail frame
2001 Rock Shox SID
All XT minus the front dur. (its lX)
LX hubs with some SUN Rhyno Lites
Race Face stem
and Titec TI handle bars.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Thats a crazy mix of parts! Does your buddy plan on hanging more light-weight pieces of of the TI frame (ie. wheels)? Sounds like it could be a racer with some tweaking!;)

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I agree on the wheels but I let him order everything. We started out with a cheap bike. Titanium frame with cheap parts (it was airbourne selling for royce union who bought the bike from mongoose but it has an airbourne warrenty) he didnt like the parts that came on the bike and he decided he wanted to upgrade. Next thing I knew i had 5 boxes from jensonusa.com sitting on my front step. He picked everything out. With the burrent build its still a pretty light bike. What would you suggest part wise for the bike to make it lighter other than the wheels.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Cool. I think I saw that ad, great deal for a TI frame! As for the parts, don't sweat it. I ride RynLts too for everything, but depending on the brakes (linear v. disk) the options to shave your rotational weight are legion!

I'm currently collecting parts to build Sista Kreep's new SC Juliana frame up (the longer the wait, the more I'm in trouble;) ). I've been looking into the weight thing because she is a mini, and she doesn't need to be pusning around a beast, but she does dish up some punishment! We went with Mavic 317s on XT hubs...I realize these are not the lightest hubs, but for the price (budgets suck!) they rip.

Post a photo when you're done with the build, I'll try to do the same (no scanner or what-not...not yet at least).

Later.
:monkey:

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
We got the chain on and everything adjusted execpt the rear dur. and the steerer tube on the fork. My friend decided to take the bike to a bike shop and the the steerer tube cut and the rear dur adjusted. Whats the secrect to getting enough cable through the dur. that it has the right tention on it? Ill ptry to post pics tonight