Quantcast

Chain Maintenance...WHat works?

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Seems my bike got a lil more wet then i like it...my chain seems to have some rust and is kinda kinky right now. WHat do you guys do to prevent rust on bolts and such..also look for a good process to get my chain back to new...what to soak it in and such..

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by one7one
Seems my bike got a lil more wet then i like it...my chain seems to have some rust and is kinda kinky right now. WHat do you guys do to prevent rust on bolts and such..also look for a good process to get my chain back to new...what to soak it in and such..
If you have had the chain for over 6 months I would just replace it...unless of course you're an XC rider....D

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
WHat degreaser do you recommend? I have been using white lighting for lube...its gets fairly dry here in florida..but not like out west

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Has anybody ever lubed their chain with liquid wrench? Just a though I had a few weeks ago when trying to loosen a rusty bolt on my car. Would liquid wrench work to lube a chain and keep it rust free?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I replace the chain on my Dh bike every 12 hours of actual riding. Dh chains see far more abuse than chains on XC or road bikes due to both the conditions we ride in and the action of the suspension. I replace the chain on my geared mtx bike after every race as the loads it sees are even greater.

I'm a chronic chain breaker though, as I kill chains sprinting on my road bike about 3 times a year. Chains suck!

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
I replace the chain on my Dh bike every 12 hours of actual riding. Dh chains see far more abuse than chains on XC or road bikes due to both the conditions we ride in and the action of the suspension. I replace the chain on my geared mtx bike after every race as the loads it sees are even greater.
:eek: I hope you don't just through one race old chains in the bin.

For maintenance what I do is clean the chain with washing up liquid, it's cheap and will get rid of mud and some grease.
Then if there is any grease left on the chain then I soak it in solvent (white spirit). It's best to clean the loose stuff off first as the solvent will last longer then.
Then I let the chain dry for a while. To lube it I use a drip can of motor oil, let it seep into the links then remove any excess with paper towel. Proberly isn't the best for dry dusty conditions as it will take ages to remove all the excess oil.
I also like to rotate two chains at a time.

Once the rings have worn I just forget the maintenance alltogeter and just pour water over the chain at the begining of a ride to stop the squeaking until I can't trust it not to break in the middle of a ride, then I replace the lot.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by D_D
:eek: I hope you don't just through one race old chains in the bin.
Yeah, I do. pc59's are cheap enough at shop cost that I'd rather have the piece of mind. They hang around a little bit, and maybe get thrown on something in a pinch, but after so many bad experiences with chains on my road bike I sure as hell ain't going to be re-using those things on my or anyone else's bike.

Sprinting and shifting just don't mix, but it's what you need to do to go fast.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I use mineral spirits aka lacquer thinner to get the grease off my chain by shaking it in a PB jar half full of the stuff.
I then rinse it while scrubbing with a toothbrush.
I then wipe it off and let it dry.
I then drip Dumonde Tech or Dumonde Tech Lite on each pivot, and hand the chain vertically to let the lube settle.
After a few hours, I will wipe the chain as clean as possible because all the lube that will do anything can't be wiped off by a rag.
I try to ride the chain on a street for a bit first because Dumonde Tech lube converts to a teflon-like coating on the insides of the bushings/pivots when exposed to high pressure and temperature.
It will usually last me at least 4 hard rides, maybe 3 in mud, all because Dumonde Tech is the shiznit.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Has anybody ever lubed their chain with liquid wrench? Just a though I had a few weeks ago when trying to loosen a rusty bolt on my car. Would liquid wrench work to lube a chain and keep it rust free?
thats like putting wd40 on your chain.

~SGD