Quantcast

Chain problems / question

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Hey guys

I have a KHE half link chain on my Howie, but I can't run my wheel slammed. :plthumbsdown: The KMC chain I had before seemed good and I was able to run my wheel slammed, but I broke that chain, so I got this KHE half link to replace it.

I also have a KMC K710 SL chain laying around so I thought I'd give that a try. My question is, do I need a half link to get my wheel slammed? My gear ratio is 28 - 12 if that matters.

I didn't know a chain could be this pain in the ass!

Thanks for any help or suggestions

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
There are not that many Howies out there yet.... And nobody will be able to tell you unless you know the exact distance between the center of your bottom bracket, and the center of your rear axle. Even then, not many people are aware of exact chainstay lengths for given gear combos. Also, worn cogs and/or chains will cause the measurement to vary slightly.
If a regular chain worked before, and you still have the same gears, it should work again. I suggest getting a 410H, they are cheap and pretty strong.

Easiest thing to do is this:

1. Loosen rear axle, push wheel all the way forward.
2. Put the very center of your chain around rear cog, and pull it tight, wrapping both ends around your front chain ring.
3. Note where they overlap. It should now be obvious whether you need a half-link, or if you can simply get out your chain tool and cut/join the chain where it needs to be.

Keep in mind, a full link will move your rear axle 1/2"

Last edited: