Quantcast

Chain retention for trail riding and playing around?

bad mechanic

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
I have a PX Ridgeback (Hammerhead) which is my trail and urban bike. I run it as a 1x8, but need to keep the front derailleur and 22t chain ring on, since otherwise I get terminal chain suck (which really hurts). I've been looking around for something better since currently it's still dropping the chain, but it's immediately picking it back up.

I think something like Paul's Chain Keeper would be ideal, but they specifically say it's not for freeride use.

Is there something you could recommend to me? I want something light and doesn't touch the chain unless it's trying to jump off. In other words, I'd rather not have the chain running over an idler.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the classic fix is to take your busted old FD, jam some elastomers or something similarly crunchy on top and bottom, and fix it out over your chainring. That's what they did before they had things like the evil guides and such. You could also try and procure an older chainguide, like an AC or something, and just use the top roller.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the classic fix is to take your busted old FD, jam some elastomers or something similarly crunchy on top and bottom, and fix it out over your chainring. That's what they did before they had things like the evil guides and such. You could also try and procure an older chainguide, like an AC or something, and just use the top roller.
Another fix is to take an old piece of brake cable (the end that installs into the lever) and use that as a stop to position the FD where you need. This doesn't work on all FD's, but ones that have a hole for cable routing will work.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, so let me make sure what I am reading. YOu run it in one gear in the front only. YOu still have the derailer and small ring on it though. So basically you dont shift, or you have moved the limit screws so you cant shift? Is this correct?

If that is the case, then in all seriousness, just go buy a cheap chainguide. You can get the new E13 steel stuff for dirt cheap, if your really hurting for a guide you can grab up a Truvativ Box guide for cheap as well. Lots of stuff out there for cheap.

The pauls chain keeper will self destruct with ubran riding, it really is meant just to keep your chain lined up when running a single speed in the front of a commuter.

bad mechanic

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
Ok, so let me make sure what I am reading. YOu run it in one gear in the front only. YOu still have the derailer and small ring on it though. So basically you dont shift, or you have moved the limit screws so you cant shift? Is this correct?
Yup, the bike has no front shifter, and the front derailleur has been set using the limit screws.

My criteria for a retention device is not create drag on the chain (which is why I don't want a roller), be able to run it with a bashring (which I have installed but am willing to swap out), and have it fit a 32t ring. The MRP 1.X looks good, but doesn't look like it works with a bashring.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Yup, the bike has no front shifter, and the front derailleur has been set using the limit screws.

My criteria for a retention device is not create drag on the chain (which is why I don't want a roller), be able to run it with a bashring (which I have installed but am willing to swap out), and have it fit a 32t ring. The MRP 1.X looks good, but doesn't look like it works with a bashring.
http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/inner_rings.php

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
you know the rollers have bearings in them right? and a guide setup right doesn't really add much drag if at all, honestly just buy a damn chainguide maybe look intoa gamut p-20 or somthin like that, theyre light and work well. and really if your worried about your chain basically rolling essentially on a bearing causing to much drag while pedaling, you need to harden the fvck up dude.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have a PX Ridgeback (Hammerhead) which is my trail and urban bike. I run it as a 1x8, but need to keep the front derailleur and 22t chain ring on, since otherwise I get terminal chain suck (which really hurts). I've been looking around for something better since currently it's still dropping the chain, but it's immediately picking it back up.

I think something like Paul's Chain Keeper would be ideal, but they specifically say it's not for freeride use.

Is there something you could recommend to me? I want something light and doesn't touch the chain unless it's trying to jump off. In other words, I'd rather not have the chain running over an idler.
You could take the taco off of the new LG1+, that would work. Jonas from e*thirteen has been running the top of an old LG1 on a carbon backplate for a few years now on his XC bike and it works pretty well. More than a few XC riders are running the full LG1+ (with lower idler and all) on their SS XC bikes. It's all personal preference, but the LG1+ is so damn light with the taco and idler, I don't personally see much downside to running the whole system as opposed to just the top guide.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Sounds like this fits yoru criteria perfectly

http://www.e13components.com/product_32special.html

E13 32 special. Seriously, if yoiu can feel the drag from any of todays guides.... its setup wrong. Here is what your asking for, extremly low drag, uses a bashguard, easy setup, fits a 32.

Cant see it getting any better