Quantcast

Chain Ring

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Chain keeps falling off the front chain ring - it falls off the bottom and eventually falls off entirely.

The cassette and chain are obviously worn, but I don't want to replace them right now.

What happens if I just replace the front ring? Have never just replaced that alone...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It will wear faster. That scenario could lead to chainsuck and skipping on old 3X drivetrains, no idea how a 1X would do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IME, when the front ring wears out, it starts dropping the chain. It doesn't mean your chain is worn out, that depends on the chain wear/length.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
do you run a top guide? if not, i'd highly recommend it. also, how's the tension on your clutch?
I run a top guide, but its the plastic OneUp and it seems pretty flexy. When the chain starts unwrapping itself from the ring, it eventually squeezes out of the guide which is a total pain in the ass, as you can't force it back the other way.

The derailleur is a Sram GX, so the clutch is loose as a goose.....along with all the pivots on it. Working on finding an SLX replacement and budgeting for a Gabaruk cassette.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I run a top guide, but its the plastic OneUp and it seems pretty flexy. When the chain starts unwrapping itself from the ring, it eventually squeezes out of the guide which is a total pain in the ass, as you can't force it back the other way.

The derailleur is a Sram GX, so the clutch is loose as a goose.....along with all the pivots on it. Working on finding an SLX replacement and budgeting for a Gabaruk cassette.
can you lower the top guide at all? and yeah, those gxs are...pretty crappy. sucked it up and went xo1 a while back and it's been super solid.