Quantcast

chain sagging

yougotit14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2004
May be a simple question for some of you, but when i stop pedaling my chain sags from the rear derailleur moving forward. any answers to this problem? do you guys understand the question?

also in an unrelated question:

Sometimes when i i'm pedaling the chain skips off the gears in the back and lodges between the top gear and the spokes. Or sometimes even skips back and forth between gears without settling in one specific? I'm sure these are related as they just happened at the same time yesterday.

appreciated the help

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Did ALL this happen at one time, or has the chain sag been going on longer?

Maybe you broke the spring in your rear derailer. Does it feel like its putting any tension at all on the chain?

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
does the chain sag happen on the bottom or the top set of links? Seems like if it is only happeneing when you stop pedalling then you're freehub either is dying on you or needs to be serviced because it's got too much resitance in the freewheeling mechanism.

As for the chain trying to become one with the wheel. Look at the back of your deraileur. There should be two small screws one marked with a "L" and one marked with a "H" those are your limit screws. They limit how far the derailleur is allowed to travel at the end of it's stroke in either direction. What you need to do is screw in the one marked "L" which is your low gear limit screw. Screw that in until you can just barely shift into your lowest gear and then back it out about a quarter turn or until it's a bit easier to shift into that gear. This should solve your problem unless you bent something which in that case you need to go to your local shop and have your hanger or derailleur or both replaced.

yougotit14

Chimp
Aug 5, 2004
These two incidents happened seperately.

i'll try the "H,L" proposition later today. I think that may be the solution to the chain getting lodged.

The chain sags when the pedals aren't moving. As i start pedaling, everything works well, but its the moment i stop that the top set of links sags and the derailleur stretches forward.

Thanks for the replies!

yougotit14 said:
The chain sags when the pedals aren't moving. As i start pedaling, everything works well, but its the moment i stop that the top set of links sags and the derailleur stretches forward.

Thanks for the replies!
that sounds like a classic freehub problem, and if you haven't the tools to take off the cassette its a little hard to get eny oil in there and your have to pay your LBS to do it