Quantcast

Chain Saw Buying Advice

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The contractor I worked for had both Milwaukees and Huskavarnas, and swore by both brands. This guy used chainsaws every day of his life for 30 years, so I guess that's a good testimonial :)

I used the Huskavarnas mostly, and never had a complaint.

Electric chainsaws pretty much suck, though. At least, any one I've ever used.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
What I mean is, do you really want to be limited by the length of extension cord? If it's for use around the house trimming bushes and whatnot it would be just fine.

Edit: I have a 14" Stihl that seems to work great. I had it around 5 years now, but it hasn't seen that much use. Too bad none of the trail crews around here will let me use it. Apparent you have to have some fancy USFS certification or something.:rolleyes:

J

JRB

I bought a Husky Rancher 55 a while back and really like it. If you don't want disposable, stick with Husky, Echo, or Stihl.

I had tons of issues with a Milwaukee chop saw and they are the same engines, so I wouldn't buy one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am a cheap bastard and I found out the hard way that a chainsaw is something that you cannot skimp on.
I first bought a $100 Poulan which must be French for heap of dung.
It was all plastic, and it would not even adjust tight enough to keep the chain on.
Anyway, I ended up with a Stihl Farmboss and its all business.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
husky user here. never had a problem with it and it has well over 500 hours on it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Jeremy R said:
I am a cheap bastard and I found out the hard way that a chainsaw is something that you cannot skimp on.
I first bought a $100 Poulan which must be French for heap of dung.
It was all plastic, and it would not even adjust tight enough to keep the chain on.
Anyway, I ended up with a Stihl Farmboss and its all business.

Yes. My Dad seems to like to go the cheap route. As a result, he's been through more saws than I can count. Maybe one or two a year? They never start, you have to mess with the chain constantly. He's burned through piston heads, you name it, he's broken it. Granted they don't have heat and have to cut all their fire wood for the winter so those saws saw some serious use. But still they could have saved money by putting central heat and air for all the saws he went through.

That's why I decided to pay a bit more and get a Stihl for myself. That thing always starts on the first or second pull. I never have to mess with it. It just runs. Paided 3x more for it though.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My dad had an electric chainsaw. He was having problems cutting up a dead tree in his yard and called up me up to come over to help. I bring over my admittedly crappy gas powered saw to take a look.

Dad says "This is a really tough tree, this is the second (or third) chain that it's torn up." I start checking out the trunk of the tree where he was cutting. Ends up that just a bit higher up from where he was cutting was a hole. Somebody had the bright idea of pouring concrete down the hole to keep the critters out.

Moral of the story? Chainsaws don't cut though concrete very well. Had a good laugh at the old man's expense that day.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
It's better for the environment.
Jesus man - you might want to trade the washed up chicks in for some cutesy little guy avatars. :nonono:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stihl FTW. my dad has one that is older than me. keep it lubed, keep the chain sharp and the bar tight and you're golden. A buddy has a husqy. its works great... when it works. that thing has been in the shop for service more times than Micheal Jackson has touched little boys.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Seriously - from someone w/ a forestry degree - stihl or husky.

I've always been partial to stihl. Growing up on the farm, VA state park system, USFS, current enviro organization: all use saws a lot and they always work.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Stihl is the brand most fire departments use. And I think the Forestry Service exclusively use Stihls also. I've taken the entire roof off a house with a Stihl. The 440 Magnum is one bitch'n saw. Go with th 20" bar if you are falling small trees the 24 for medium size. but most importantly learn how to do it properly. The gunny sites are your best friend for lining up the fall line for a tree.

J

JRB

dan wask said:
husky.

I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to smell the delicious scent of 2 stroke. mmmm.... premix....
I think he's scared of getting the mix on his skirt while he's fueling up. :think:

:D

*btw - the derailleur should be there tomorrow, Brian.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
biggins said:
i am right there with ya.if only i could find a girl that wears premix perfume.

Too tell you the truth, when I come in from working outside with the saw, my wife has told me several times finds the smell rather alluring. L'eau de Homme or something like that.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
jdschall said:
Too tell you the truth, when I come in from working outside with the saw, my wife has told me several times finds the smell rather alluring. L'eau de Homme or something like that.
Does she have a sister?? :)

On a serious note, I have both a Husky and a Stihl, Stihl is older than me, Husky is only a year old, both do the job..both gas. I've used an electric before, for around the yard theyt work, start cutting anything bigger than 3" trees and you'll miss the gas powered stuff. Isn't a really big price difference between a small gas and a electric, kinda a no brainer IMO

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
if you get a stihl or husky and you take care of it as is reccomended by the company (lube, mix the gas right, keep the bar tight, and the chain sharp). then either saw will easily last you 15 to 20 years.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Ciaran said:
You need a hotsaw. Nothing like sawing through firewood with a motocross engine!

ha !
jeremy mcgrath-lumberjack.

i have been using two huskys for a couple of years now.
a 16in. and a 20in. i keep em clean and lubed and tuned.
always run sharp chains so as not to overwork the engines.

100% reliable. both fire up quick and clean.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh man.
you don't want to go there.

i have ten chains for the 20in. and four for the smaller one. and i always take an extra with me.
the old guy up in halls who sharpens my chains says i'm his best customer.

i explained to him why. i told him where i cut and why i have to cut so close to the ground.
i also told him that most of the damage comes from inside the tree. not actually hitting exposed rocks.
i've learn that close to the ground, trees(mainly oaks) tend to hollow out in the center, thereby pulling up dirt and stones into the base of the tree.
i know it sounds strange but it's true.

then i showed him some of the photos of the place and of us riding.
believe it or not, he thinks we're nuts.