Chain Saw Buying Advice

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
dhbuilder said:
oh man.
you don't want to go there.

i have ten chains for the 20in. and four for the smaller one. and i always take an extra with me.
the old guy up in halls who sharpens my chains says i'm his best customer.

i explained to him why. i told him where i cut and why i have to cut so close to the ground.
i also told him that most of the damage comes from inside the tree. not actually hitting exposed rocks.
i've learn that close to the ground, trees(mainly oaks) tend to hollow out in the center, thereby pulling up dirt and stones into the base of the tree.
i know it sounds strange but it's true.

then i showed him some of the photos of the place and of us riding.
believe it or not, he thinks we're nuts.

Joey, we picked up one of these for our saws here at the office:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1466

It works pretty well and only takes about 10 minutes in the parking lot - a lot quicker than pig tails. Just make sure you have the correct angle and pitch. And I know what you mean w/ going through chains. We do so much shoreline work that all the logs and debris are filled w/ sand. Half a day and the chain is toast. We burned through them w/ the forest service too, but things were more consistant. Still, we sharpened twice a day. Are you using kevlar chaps up there??

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
oh man.
you don't want to go there.
I knew you'd have some stories...

I believe that the Truvalue Hardware Store right there in Oliver Springs (across from the Roller Rink and school) does my Dad's chains. They are good guys. If you ever need anything while you are over there, that's the place to stop.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive been using my Craftsman saw for years with no issues. (im sure its made for Sears by some other company) Its a 14" saw perfect for home use and the occasional pirate trail :evil:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
I knew you'd have some stories...

I believe that the Truvalue Hardware Store right there in Oliver Springs (across from the Roller Rink and school) does my Dad's chains. They are good guys. If you ever need anything while you are over there, that's the place to stop.
i've been in there.
you're right they are good guys.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
d.e.f. said:
Joey, we picked up one of these for our saws here at the office:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1466

It works pretty well and only takes about 10 minutes in the parking lot - a lot quicker than pig tails. Just make sure you have the correct angle and pitch. And I know what you mean w/ going through chains. We do so much shoreline work that all the logs and debris are filled w/ sand. Half a day and the chain is toast. We burned through them w/ the forest service too, but things were more consistant. Still, we sharpened twice a day. Are you using kevlar chaps up there??
actually doug. i wear rattlers snake proof chaps.(i'm sure you've seen the size of the rattlesnakes up here.) and i've actually hit those with a running chain this past winter. barely nicked em.(the chaps, not the snakes.)

thanks for the info on the sharpener. i'll look into one of those before next winters trailbuilding.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
After using a Stihl 20" 046 saw I'll never purchase a cheap saw. The thing goes through big logs like the proverbial hot knife thru butta. It always starts on about the 3 or 4th pull even after months of disuse and is about 8 years old.

Mike