Quantcast

Chain Smoke 2

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have never seen the 1st Chain Smoke video. Does someone have it? Ive never even seen it for sale. Does it exist????

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I like 2. It is played on channel 19 fairly often here. Definately a good vid

The rennie section kills it. Definately one of my favorite parts.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Chain smoke 1 is a 100 times better no 1000 times better than the Chain Smoke 2. Isn't it also the one with the mullet guy, gold bike, 100% woop ass T-shirt and the mafia controlled dirt at the end of the movie?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
CBJ said:
Chain smoke 1 is a 100 times better no 1000 times better than the Chain Smoke 2. Isn't it also the one with the mullet guy, gold bike, 100% woop ass T-shirt and the mafia controlled dirt at the end of the movie?
No, I think that was Headliners... Whatever video that was, next time you watch Earthed, notice that the same guy is in the background when the Balfa rider crashes on Ledges in the Mt Snow section

(oh ****, I think I might be a geek)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, you are right its Headliners another good old school. He is still around thats too funny and impressive you noticed that.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
SuspectDevice said:
No, I think that was Headliners... Whatever video that was, next time you watch Earthed, notice that the same guy is in the background when the Balfa rider crashes on Ledges in the Mt Snow section

(oh ****, I think I might be a geek)
NO WAY that dude?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
mtnbrider said:
I have the second, but haven't heard about a first. The trail face w/ rennie is where I used to live-crazy trail gaps!!
Err... that's Richard Lancaster not Rennie. IMO Lancaster was one of the most talented,
underrated riders of our time.

bomberboy11 said:
All I know that face trail is in CSII and the video cannot do that trail justice at all...
And yes, that video, as cool as it is, does FACE trail zero justice. It doesn't even show the hard parts.
The best feeling I have EVER had on a bike was the first time I cleaned that trail without stopping/carcasing. I miss it.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Biscuit said:
Err... that's Richard Lancaster not Rennie.

And yes, that video, as cool as it is, does FACE trail zero justice. It doesn't even show the hard parts.
The best feeling I have EVER had on a bike was the first time I cleaned that trail without stopping/carcasing. I miss it.
It actually does show most of the hard parts, its just the fact that Lancaster does them so effortlessly, their easy to miss. But if you built the trail, you should be able to clean it like he does. Props for being able to clean it without stopping/crashing, I've yet to do it, but I'm close:thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Chain Smoke 2 was awesome, totally underrated flik IMO. Chain Smoke 1 had a Marlboro looking cover and that's about all I remember of it.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
Chaismoke I,the best all time downhill/mtb film ever made....( and I saw all downhill movie you can imagine...since Chainsmoke till Earthed 2)
I'd like to see another video made for Troy Adamits(the director) now a days,would be interesting....

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Yes Face trail is in SLO off of Cuesta Grade, you can see it from the highway if you know what you're looking for (i.e. big cut down the south end of the hill to the west of the 101 - goes straight down). I still have yet to ride Face. I only hiked it because I sorta messed myself up on a different trail earlier in the day...and by hiked it I mean climbed it.

The video shows some of the hard parts, but Lancaster makes it look like nothing. That and the helicopter doesn't really show you how insanely steep all of it is that he'd riding. The big rock face for example is something that you can barely stand on, and you have to climb up hand over hand mostly.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It was Nathon that did the roadgap by the morning glory/ shooters trailhead, right?

Is that step up over rock you see from the road driving to morning glory, shooters? I want to ride shooters;how long is it? I think I heard its not long.

In the movie, the rockface on face didn't look steep at all. I want to film my friend on there.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
mtnbrider said:
It was Nathon that did the roadgap by the morning glory/ shooters trailhead, right?

Is that step up over rock you see from the road driving to morning glory, shooters? I want to ride shooters;how long is it? I think I heard its not long.

In the movie, the rockface on face didn't look steep at all. I want to film my friend on there.
Yes, Rennie hits the SLO Road Gap.
The rock jump in not a step-up, its a 22ft double. Thats not Shooters.
Shooters is short.
Trust me, the first part of Face is insanely steep. Which friend? The one with the Scott and Shiver? If so, no offence or nothin, but that kid would ger seriously hurt on Face.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
let's not keep telling people about the trail my friends and i maintain. we dont want people coming out here and wrecking themselves and getting our trail shutdown. and they will wreck themselves. trust me. leave slo alone. there aren't any trails here. if you're talking about riding down shooters, then face and our other trails are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy over your head. just ask bomberboy. i made him suffer all morning :)

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
beaverbiker said:
let's not keep telling people about the trail my friends and i maintain. we dont want people coming out here and wrecking themselves and getting our trail shutdown. and they will wreck themselves. trust me. leave slo alone. there aren't any trails here. if you're talking about riding down shooters, then face and our other trails are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy over your head. just ask bomberboy. i made him suffer all morning :)
Hey, I just gave the names of the trails, I didn't give any locations or directions. I understand that Face is a secret and have never given anyone directions to it or posted pics of it. Out of curiosity, are you part of the wheelmen? If so, I'd like to meet you, I wouldn't mind doing routine maintinence and the trails that I enjoy so much.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
beaverbiker said:

i feel you....

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
sleepinggiant said:
Yes, Rennie hits the SLO Road Gap.
The rock jump in not a step-up, its a 22ft double. Thats not Shooters.
Shooters is short.
Trust me, the first part of Face is insanely steep. Which friend? The one with the Scott and Shiver? If so, no offence or nothin, but that kid would ger seriously hurt on Face.
Not justin (w/ the scott) (no way) -marlopez, I am going to make a video and see if he wants to be in it. Can you not just roll down face even? You have to clear and clean evrything?

Who are you, do you know me; are you the guy who shuttled us up for the arts ride?

I know how steep it is-fromt the freeway, just doesn't look steep in the movie.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
The Beaver did make me suffer all morning indeed (thanks btw). If you have any crazy ideas about doing Face, walk/hike/climb it first to see what you're going to go up against. Most importantly, make sure that you can do all the other trails in SLO before even thinking about doing it (but bring those hiking shoes). If you don't know what you're doing and you go into it without knowing what's ahead, you will fall, many times, and probably injure yourself very very badly.

Mtnbrider, if you can actually get a video camera out to that part of the trail without killing yourself and/or the camera, plus find a place to stand to videotape, then yes, go for it. Otherwise, you'll kill yourself - seriously.

As far as telling people exactly where it is, it's just up by Cuesta Grade near the 101. There's a bunch of trails going down from there. Face is one of them. If one of the locals goes with you to ride it, then cool. If they recommend you against it, it's for a reason. You die, no more trail. I'm not even sure what/where Shooters is, but if the Beaver says you shouldn't ride Face based on that, take it seriously.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bomberboy11 said:
The Beaver did make me suffer all morning indeed (thanks btw). If you have any crazy ideas about doing Face, walk/hike/climb it first to see what you're going to go up against. Most importantly, make sure that you can do all the other trails in SLO before even thinking about doing it (but bring those hiking shoes). If you don't know what you're doing and you go into it without knowing what's ahead, you will fall, many times, and probably injure yourself very very badly.

Mtnbrider, if you can actually get a video camera out to that part of the trail without killing yourself and/or the camera, plus find a place to stand to videotape, then yes, go for it. Otherwise, you'll kill yourself - seriously.

As far as telling people exactly where it is, it's just up by Cuesta Grade near the 101. There's a bunch of trails going down from there. Face is one of them. If one of the locals goes with you to ride it, then cool. If they recommend you against it, it's for a reason. You die, no more trail. I'm not even sure what/where Shooters is, but if the Beaver says you shouldn't ride Face based on that, take it seriously.
Yeah sure..... Are you saying its dangerous to film? Yeah, I know...I'm no where near ready to ride that.

Why shouldn't I ride shooters. I heard all the jumps are to the side and they are really big.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
I didn't drive the truck, but I do work at Art's and I was on that ride. I ride an SX with a Shiver SC. Shooters has no jumps. Its super fast and really fun. You can definately ride it.

As far as Face goes, I'm with Bomberboy on this one. Get someone that knows where it is and has ridedden/hiked it before, and hike it first!!! Best advice ever. When my friends and I did it, 2 guys rode it, I shot photos and 2 other guy filmed. The footage is ok, but like Bomberboy said, its not a spectator friendly trail. Thats why it was shot from a helocopter in CS-II. All of us fell and got hurt at one poing or another. Luckily not too bad, and the equiptment wan't harmed. Good luck:thumb:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If I filmed, I would hike/walk/run the trail. I wouldn't ride it. I want to hike it, just to check it out anyway. I like trail work/maintenance, so I would like help with the trails, if I can.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
mtnbrider said:
Why shouldn't I ride shooters. I heard all the jumps are to the side and they are really big.
Jumps? Where? Not on Shooters. Unless you call that 6" mound of dirt at the top a jump. There's not even anything to jup off of when you get bored.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I talked to a few people and they said theres jumps...I guees they are wrong. I'e only ridden morning glory. Are there any trails w/ jumps in SLO/SB area that aren't really sketchy like face?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Knapps Castle/Snyder trail in SB has some "jumps" and some stuff to lip off of as well as two drops to start off the trail (big one on the dirt face where you park and the one that goes by the wire holding up the gate). A few drops on Tunnel too. All the jumps on Face are at least 15 feet long. They're mosly about the size of the big one you see in the video. Knapps would be your best bet. Little wallrides here and there on that trail too if you know where to look plus a decent sized hip jump.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I watched CS2 last night. I love that movie- the riding, the editing, everything. The music that was chosen really flows w/ the riding. Where is that quarry where brian lopes rode? Is that near the Rancho Cucamonga area next to the freeway? One part I though was cool, was at Kyle strait's part he came in jumping fromt he left and also the right at the same time and they came together as 1 kyle juming;that was cool.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
bomberboy11 said:
Knapps Castle/Snyder trail in SB has some "jumps" and some stuff to lip off of as well as two drops to start off the trail (big one on the dirt face where you park and the one that goes by the wire holding up the gate). A few drops on Tunnel too. All the jumps on Face are at least 15 feet long. They're mosly about the size of the big one you see in the video. Knapps would be your best bet. Little wallrides here and there on that trail too if you know where to look plus a decent sized hip jump.

not much in the way of jumps on knapps...you should be pinned in all those sections anyways not looking for little hits on the side of the trail...there is the one hip though but u gotta hit it somewhat fast to make the tranny

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Nah, upper Tunnel is by far the best for hardtails...

Who says you have to be pinned going down Knapps all the time? All sorts of cool little lines off to the sides if you're not trying to beat a time.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
bomberboy11 said:
Nah, upper Tunnel is by far the best for hardtails...

^^^for about a 1/4 mile

Who says you have to be pinned going down Knapps all the time? .

^^^^^me